It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:23 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: July 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
New ECTO-1 revealed

This seems to have pissed off a bunch of guys on GBFans even more than the uniforms and proton packs.

I dunno...it works fine to me. It's evocative of the original, and is mde from a ~30 year old car--much like the '59 cars were in 84 and 89 (Indeed, a couple of posters think the Feig car might be from the 1984 model year, which would, indeed, be a "fun nod")

I mean, I was personally far more annoyed by the car in the Video Game being inexplicably named "ECTO-1B" and having a stupid-looking garbage can on its roof. So maybe my taste isn't the best. :lol:

PostPosted: July 9th, 2015, 8:06 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
New ECTO-1 revealed

This seems to have pissed off a bunch of guys on GBFans even more than the uniforms and proton packs.

Dude, there's nothing wrong with it. :roll:

(Hmm. First time I felt like I wanted to comment on this thing. I'm staying out of it until I see it, which will be in many years when it's on UK TV.)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 9th, 2015, 1:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
(Hmm. First time I felt like I wanted to comment on this thing. I'm staying out of it until I see it, which will be in many years when it's on UK TV.)

I figure unless there's some really really REALLY good buzz when it hits theatres, I'm probably waiting until a movie-loving friend of mine inevitably gets the BluRay a few months later. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2015, 9:54 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I think they've gone as far as they can with recreating the original stuff while at the same time making it different. 

GB2 had the slimeblowers and Ecto-1A, RGB had all sorts of different vehicles, EGB had new traps and packs, the IDW series has new equipment and the entire subplot of the Ghostbusters game was about testing new gear... Surely that's just part of being a ghostbusters fan - getting used to new stuff. 

I'm getting quite enthusiastic about this film. Seeing the close up of the packs, they look a bit EGB but I think there's an element of RGB in there with the firing button and the dial on the thrower, and Kate McKinnon's outfit also seemed to have a bit of an EGB vibe to it. It'll be interesting if they mix some flavour of the films with the cartoons. I'm wondering if they are keeping the name tags concealed for a reason. Do we even know the characters' names yet?

I haven't yet decided whether I'll be seeing it at the cinema or wait for the DVD to come out. If the reviews are good and the trailer looks promising, I'll probably head down to vue with some mates. 

Whatever happens, I'm not downloading it. I am going to be paying to see this because I think this is the only way to guarantee that ghostbusters keeps going. We're competing with some major franchises out there who have new generations of fans (and more money-making opportunities), and if we don't do something big then I fear we'll be left behind. I'm thinking of it as a long-term investment opportunity. :mrgreen: :lol:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2015, 10:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
and Kate McKinnon's outfit also seemed to have a bit of an EGB vibe to it. It'll be interesting if they mix some flavour of the films with the cartoons. 

Even the "straights" seem to be making a connection between McKinnon and animated Egon:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/10/89288 ... photo-egon

I guess we'll see :lol:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2015, 4:20 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:
nikki wrote:
and Kate McKinnon's outfit also seemed to have a bit of an EGB vibe to it. It'll be interesting if they mix some flavour of the films with the cartoons. 

Even the "straights" seem to be making a connection between McKinnon and animated Egon:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/10/89288 ... photo-egon

I guess we'll see :lol:

Lol. I'm waiting for her name tag so badly... :lol:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 2:14 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
they have the jump suits ad the pack also a ecto1 so I'm good.

Now if there is going to go the hole 9 yards and make a stay puff woman pop up at the end. then its hands down I need to see this movie. :mrgreen:

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:

Lol. I'm waiting for her name tag so badly... :lol:

According to GBWiki:

Melissa McCarthy as Abby Yates
Kate McKinnon as Jillian Holtzmann
Leslie Jones as Patty Tolan
Kristen Wiig as Erin Gilbert

Yeah, I know, I had this dim secret hope that McKinnon's nametag would read "Spengler" and she'd make some reference to "My Dad was a physics professor who was into this stuff. He met my Mom when she was hired to be his secretary..." I knew it wouldn't happen, but man, would it have put me in Feig's corner big time.

Forgive me for venting just a tad. I won't name any names but there's one guy on GBFans I have this visceral desire to ban every time he accuses Feig of "Man hate" and "Misandry".

On to more pleasant things:

Pictures of the new PKE Meter

Very neat. Reminiscent of the animated meters, which is the one area I definitely prefer the cartoon equipment to the movie versions. I just want some better pictures so I can feel comfortable trying to draw the thing :lol:

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 9:33 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
It strikes me that there has been a deliberate attempt to make this team of Ghostbusters visually reminiscent of the original team, for homage's sake (with at least some influence from the animated version - an overthinker could get into all sorts of speculation about why there has to be a blonde, but hey :roll: ), whilst keeping names and continuity and such far enough removed to be its own thing. I find both of those phenomena (if I'm right) very unsurprising.

Recently Jake (my sidecar in all GB activity these days, it seems) got me to say maybe we'd watch the film when it becomes available via our cable service i.e. pay for it :o (about half the price of one cinema ticket, so a quarter the price of two). In spite of myself, I'm getting interested in seeing it, though I am completely open-minded about whether or not I'll enjoy it. There's a part of me, also in spite of myself, that wonders if they'll do things like have a male secretary and such, y'know? :roll:

I mean, I didn't want to start getting into gender politics before I've even seen the movie, but it occurs to me that there are three possible attempts that might be made on these characters: to have them be like women (because they are and it must be shoved in our faces), be like men (in an attempt to show that female Ghostbusters are no different from males), or be like people. I very much hope the latter. (By the way, the Supergirl trailer annoyed the bejesus out of me, if you can see the connection.)

It's a long time since Ripley of Alien was mentioned, isn't it? Well, my A level media studies teacher told us that the part was originally written for a man. Now, A level teachers aren't always right about everything, but that sounds highly plausible to me - and a little sad, if it's true, that this is the reason why she wasn't consciously written as 'female'. The movie is a classic, of course, and provided a good foundation for the continuation of Ripley's characterisation but once we get into Aliens, aspects of her character at least are defined by her gender. She suddenly has a daughter who grew up and died in the interim, which is why she forms such a close attachment to Newt (she couldn't have done that anyway?). Now, it's a while since I've seen the series, but isn't her female reproductive system a pretty big plot point in Alien: Resurrection? Just sayin'...

So, I've fallen into the trap of getting onto the gender issue. Wait and see, girl, just wait and see...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3