It was even better than RGB 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
It needed more Tracey the Gorilla 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 19
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 8:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Quote:
I liked the character but as I said in the favorite real ghostbuster thread. The absence of Ray sorta left a hole for me.

I can see the sense in that. I was fortunate in that not only was Egon my favorite, they got his RGB voice actor back to do the part, and they had Janine in it too (And not Kath Soucie! You hang around here long you'll know that those were big plusses for me too). I think I've speculated before that the fans who considered their favorite to be Ray, Venkman, or Winston would have had a larger hurdle to liking the show.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 11:08 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I wonted to see the big guy but never got to see him :cry:

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 9:50 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
Jason knetge wrote:
I wonted to see the big guy but never got to see him :cry:

The "Big Guy?" Who are you talking about? Mr. Stay Puft?

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 2:54 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

yep to me Stay Puft is one on the coo-list .

I bet that if the show had gone on he may have popped up

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 2:18 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Taurus
I thought EGB was okay. But it would never be as good as RGB for two reasons....

Fritz wrote:

As cool as the characters were, they did lack the chemistry of the originals. Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson or Music, Welker, LaMarche, and Hall. Both groups had superb chemistry and comedic genius going for them.

Egon and Janine's touchingly weird romance started the series backtracked from where it had been: in RGB, Egon declares his love for her in "Janine You've Changed". By all rights, they should've started this series married, maybe with kids.

...exactly.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 3:19 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Shiirow wrote:
I never said it made it any less good, it was just one of the few things that made me think "Cash cow cash in marketing ploy" when I saw it and soured me on actually watching the show. Another was the the reworking of the theme song, it was bland and uninspired, then there was the art style, it made me recall all those retarded Nickelodeon cartoons now and at the time. And the fact only Egon was there, I liked the character but as I said in the favorite real ghostbuster thread. The absence of Ray sorta left a hole for me. Of course I admit it also solidified my resolve on not giving it a chance. I came back to it after seeing a link talking about the old Ghostbusters returning, I looked up a video on Google and re-evaluted it and decided that Id been a bit harsh in the beginning and admit, it is a pretty good show on its own whether they are really extreme or not...

My thoughts exactly (minus the Ray part). Imagine my horror and embarrassment when I first saw one episode (The Hand That Feeds probably) on TV, totally randomly after being in love with RGB for years upon years. But the thing that warmed me over towards EGB was the Ectozone fanfic, Dreams Reborn. Then I found Back in the Saddle on youtube and watched it - it wasn't half bad especially if the implication was that the old guys are there to stay. I've watched a few more EPs on youtube afterwards but can't say I loved any of them the way I love much of RGB.

The above points about animation, equipment redesign, PC, E/J relationship reset and so on are all also valid for me.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 4:08 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Pisces
Personally, I prefer EGB which is due to the fact that I may be too young to have experienced the RGB impact.
The RGB was my first ever favourite TV show when I was about 4 to 5 and I was so in love with Egon, but I wanted him to marry Janine! Guess, I was already a very shippy person back then.

However as I grew older, I lost soon track of the RGB and found myself attracted to EGB when I was a little bit older about 10 - 12 where I've again started shipping Eduardo and Kylie. ;)

There were several things that kept me liking it better than RGB, most of them are due to simple personal preferences.

1.) In RGB there was only one female character to identify with, which was Janine, strong, but a secretary. When I remember, even when I was young I kept asking my mother why she wouldn't go hunt ghosts with the guys and justs sits at her desk, glued to the phone. In EGB, Kylie was doing what I wanted Janine to do, although I have to say Janine is not the type of girl that could go hunting ghosts in order to make a living. Now that I grew older, Kylie seems to be similar to me, but I'm not a goth though. I like the fact that she is not Barbie wearing a pink jump suit. She's intelligent, a little bit crazy and highly critical.

I need to jump to my next point or I'll be writing here for hours.
:)

2.) I personally prefer darker cartoons that are not specifily directed towards children.
If I were a child, it would creep me out to watch the EGB Grundel! However, the dark tone is not all about the monsters, it's about the whole atmosphere, humour and some grown-up hints now and then. *evilsmile*

3.) I guess I'm simply too young for RGB somehow. I cannot totally identify myself with them and their situation in the late 80s and early 90s, even though I was already born. Cultural references for example are one problem. Of course I know what happened and so on, but I simply do not have a personal relation or memories to that time in contrast to the time of the mid 90s to late 90s.

However, I appreciate both shows very much and I really miss Egon's hairstyle in EGB. Okay that's enough from me as I should have been doing other things instead of enjoying myself such as preparing for tomorrow's exam!

X
Jen

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 1:26 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I think it sucks.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2014, 1:56 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
It was pretty good I thought. My favorite characters were kylie and edurado. I like the Back in The Saddle when Winston Ray and Peter popped up for Egon's birthday.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: January 12th, 2015, 9:44 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I just looked through my original posts on this thread, and actually got a bit bored by the end of the second one. When are they dated? *checks* August 2007?! How terrifying.

My overall opinion that this is the best television show ever made never changes. I do fluctuate over small things, though, and it must have been after 2007 that I finally and definitely (that's true) settled on Eduardo as my favourite EGB - because I believe somewhere around there's a text wall all about why Kylie was my favourite (I've a feeling I might have been influenced by popular opinion, if I was wavering - thinking about most of my past fanfics,, those point to it being Eduardo all along, really).

I'm re-watching the entire series again. I think when I originally posted, I hadn't had access to all 40 episodes long enough to have really formed my opinions. There are more than three bad episodes (though I guess "Witchy Woman", "Dog Days", "Mole People" are my top three terrible ones), and a great many average ones. I said that "Back in the Saddle" was a tragedy. I take that back. I don't really like it that much because, for me, eight Ghostbusters is too many and the return of Peter, Ray and Winston is much less exciting than watching my favourite awesome foursome as usual. But as EGB episodes go, it's fine - about on a level with the somewhat average "Fallout" and "The Jersey Devil", for example.

What else did I want to take back? Well, I'm no longer bugged by Kylie's "girl gun"; she is smaller than average, and I do like the incorporation of the trap (I am a fan of the new-style trap) into how she's kitted out, so I think that qualifies as an excuse. I've also stopped caring that people don't actually get killed. It's a cartoon, not real life, so it's nice that they don't.

It strikes me every time I watch that, as a general rule, it is extremely well written and well acted. That is what I think. I've watched a few cartoons in recent years, dating from the 1980s to the 2000s, and EGB is the only one that can boast very close to 0 bad inflections - and even those I've spotted have been after many years of scrutiny. ("It wouldn't hurt you to help with the dishes once in a while"... that's all I've got!). Susan Blu must be a very good voice director. It strikes me that the actors really think about the characters and how they would say the lines.

I am delighted with Egon being the returning OGB. He has been making me laugh a lot. Having said that, I'm making no comparisons to RGB; it wasn't actually a childhood favourite, so for me, EGB is an entity on its own. If I had been more of an RGBFan before I was an EGBFan, goodness knows whether I'd feel differently, and in what ways.

Oh, and I've decided to become a firm champion of the decision to make Garrett disabled. I'm not going to spout counter-arguments to every point that's ever been made against it, though (unless I'm asked).

Was there anything else? Well, just to point out that I'm immune to "Extreme" being a popular thing in titles in those days; apart from Extreme Dinosaurs, I am not aware of anything else making it over the Atlantic.

There we are - something else to bore myself with in another 7-8 years. :roll:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 4:05 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

I was pleasantly surprised by Extreme Ghostbusters because I only used to watch Real Ghostbusters as a casual thing to pass the time, not a real favourite, and I liked the style and characters in the new show.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 3:21 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

I would like to share my thoughts on EGB as well.
Looking at it disregarding my view on RGB I would probably have to say that it is a very good show.
I did not mind the forced diversity of the characters even though I sometimes get annoyed when people say women need other women to identify. I prefer to identify with characters that have positive personality traits than with characters that happen to have the same gender I have. But no matter what race or gender: I liked the characters, I could relate to them and that is important.
There were only one or two episodes I did not like. Most plots were at least good some even great.
BUT: EGB is a sequel to RGB and with regard to that it did not do the best job.

1. Janine: Okay, she is a lot better than the post-JMS Janine-imposter but she is far from being as tough, funny and smart as she was in RGB Season 1 and 2. I don’t know the English title of the episode, but she wanted to help the Ghostbusters and Egon acted as if he had forgotten, she went out on busts before. He orders her to stay back, claiming it would be too dangerous.

2. Egon/Janine-Relationship: Yes, I am a shipper (and I am proud of it) and therefor this point bothers me the most. In RGB I saw three phases of the relationship:
Pre Ragnarok: Janine has a huge crush on Egon and he does not Know how to deal with it.
Ragnarok: Egon realizes how much she means to him (he thinks he will die and she is the person he thinks of, dammit)
Post Ragnarok: They even go out with each other. When they visit her family he says: “I don’t know if I’m ready to meet your family” which implies that he will be ready to do so sooner or later. That is a classic thing to say in the early state of a romantic relationship.
I understand that the so-called “improvements” by q5 messed everything up and it was very hard to say what to make out of these two at the end of RGB but in EGB, “The Crawler” they let Egon ask whether the “kids” think if Janine has a crush on him! Seriously? They are saying that Egon didn’t even know she loves him?! And the saddest thing: I am not sure EGB-Egon loves Janine back. She means a lot to him, yes. But I didn’t have the feeling he was jealous of that disguised bug demon – he was annoyed that his work was interrupted but jealous? I didn’t see that and not because I didn’t try!

3. The “old” Ghostbusters: How many years had passed in the GB universe? 25? That’s at least how the guys look like. Surprised no one needed a hearing aid.
And what happened to Ray? The enthusiastic dreamer became pretty shallow and is very focused on money.

Again: Looking at it separately EGB was a cool show that was fun to watch but in my personal opinion it failed as a sequel.

Wow, long text. I got taken away again. But it happens: Talking about Ghostbusters makes me reach CGM (Critical Geek Mass). ;)

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 4:22 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks for your detailed comments, Sandra. It's always made sense to me that RGB fans weren't so crazy about the show as a sequel, but rarely do they acknowledge that some of us see EGB as its own phenomenon! :roll:

It's particularly interesting to have the point of view of a German fan, since I discovered some time ago that the German dub on Youtube had the best quality video for my website, and I've formed a few opinions on the performances. I've watched bits of many episodes, some all the way through, and what I remember from my four years of German at school combined with my encyclopedic knowledge of the series means that I can follow pretty well.

German Egon doesn't come close to Maurice LaMarche's performance; his delivery is very flat and totally misses the humour. Eduardo, thankfully, doesn't disappoint when the episode is good. When it's bad... well, the interesting thing is that he's gone for pretty much two totally different interpretations of the character. In the badly written episodes where Eduardo's being an idiot, such as 'Das Hexeneinmaleins', he just sounds like a total idiot and like the actor isn't taking it seriously; then you watch 'Trollangriff', and all the emotion and understanding is there. Kylie, on the other hand, is utter rubbish all the time. Just listen to her in 'Daemonische Dichtkunst' asking Eduardo, 'Du kannst lesen?' Does she have any clue that it's supposed to be sarcastic? :shock:

You mentioned not knowing the English titles, referring specifically to 'A Temporary Insanity'. Whatever the German title is, it's sure to make more sense than the English one - I'm pretty impressed with the German titles overall. 'Der Pflazendaemon', for instance, is much more plain and sensible than 'Seeds of Destruction'!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 6:53 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Unlike RGB I never saw EGB in the English Original Version. Last night I re-watched some of them on Youtube in English (indeed it is hard to find them in good quality) and I agree. The German Egon Actor delivers a lot of lines completely different so that in some episodes it might change the viewer’s interpretation of Egon’s “emotional status”. ;)

I would not say German Kylie does a horrible job when it comes to acting in general. But her way of delivering the lines makes Kylie’s personality seem completely different. I always wondered why so many people love Kylie. To me she always was “okay but not great”. English Kylie is indeed a loveable character. (Even though I still like IDW-Kylie better).

I think the German Title of “A Temporary Insanity” was “Tanz der Elektro-Engel” which would translate as something like “Dance of the electric angels”. I can’t say what fits better. Eduardo and the others guys falling for Lilith could be seen as a “temporary insanity” but the German title is not wrong. “Seeds of destruction” in my opinion is a good title because it fits but does not give too much away while “Der Pflanzendämon” let’s you know what kind of entity the antagonist is going to be.

But after re-watching the pilot I have to say that it really bugs me that the citizens did not believe in Egon’s words at first. Seriously? Even after a couple of years – be it 10 or 100 – no one would forget the giant Marshmallow Man that tried to stomp the city. In RGB the Ghostbusters were on the news constantly. In a universe in which ghosts are part of history a reforming group should not have to start from the beginning when it comes to convincing people that ghosts are real and ghostbusters are no frauds.

I guess I will re-watch all episodes in English when I find the time.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 1:35 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

After reading Sandra's post, I watched The Crawler in German to see what I made of the performances. My first instinct was to be generally unimpressed with all of them! But then I'm comparing them to the original English, which I know and love so well, so I mustn't be hard on the actors for not interpreting the lines in the same way.

In particular, to be fair to German Egon, he doesn't know that Maurice LaMarche can make the simplest line sound funny. He did at least get that the 'ich liebe dich' scene was supposed to be comical... but Kylie didn't. Even when I'm trying to be objective, her performances suck! She acts the lines, but she doesn't interpret them. I remember, after I first realised this, finding some of the key Eduardo and Kylie scenes to see what they were like. Okay, she can be seductive and she can be irritated (a little bit), but she doesn't look beyond the basic. If I were a native German speaker and had watched this series, I doubt I would have got interested in the relationship. Eduardo does his best with it when there's clearly something going on, but Kylie just doesn't help him out! By contrast, Tara Strong-nee-Charendoff puts everything into the performance, and her interaction with Rino Romano is (for me anyway) golden even where the German actors don't realise there's supposed to be something simmering beneath the surface. To take an example from this episode, the translation of,
'They're in my pants!'
'Easy, Eduardo. Don't make any sudden moves.'
is very disappointing! (Sorry, my German wasn't up to getting the whole translation.)

It was Janine who impressed me the most in this episode. The bit that disappointed me a little was her first meeting with Greg/Kohila, but again, I'm very attached to Pat Musick's interpretation which this actress knows nothing about. If I don't think about that, there's really nothing wrong with what she did.

Of course, I thoroughly approve of you endeavouring to watch the English version, Sandra - I really, really hope you do get time! I particularly recommend watching 'The Crawler' in English, as I can see why the German version left you cold; a great deal of the humour is lost (especially by Kylie!), and yes, I think Maurice LaMarche is so much better with the emotion (which is fairly understated still - I don't want to build up your hopes too much!).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3