It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Should Dana have been in the Real Ghostbuster's Cartoon?
Yes, she was part of the movies, so she should have been part of the cartoon 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No, I can't imagine what her role would have been 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Doesn't matter to me either way 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 9
 Post subject: Dana in RGB
PostPosted: September 7th, 2008, 2:57 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
I was going to post this poll before I saw Fritz's post in the movie forum "Peter and Dana" but upon reading it it was the kick in the a** to remind me to post this poll...

I really think TRG was fine the way it was...didn't need another female in there messing around. Peter and Dana's relationship was complicated enough in the movies (still don't quite understand how she went from despising him to kissing him at the end :?: ) so imagine how dumbed down it would have to be for kids in a cartoon. I would personally hate having to say "guess this is gonna be a Dana-centric episode" ... :roll:

I'm curious as to how many people really noticed her absence...my guess from visiting other message boards and the amount of fanfics NOT rotated around her, I'm guessing not much...

In my little mind, I've made her out to be a lil' more bad ass than she was in the movies (only because I like bad ass women 8-) ) which makes her not so 'easy', more discerning, confident, and witty than most women, therefore making her more attractive to Peter...but that doesn't mean that I needed to see her in the cartoon...

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Dana in RGB
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 1:31 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I also wondered that when I was a Kid watching the cartoon. Season 4 (abc) should have included her too since lous was lamely added.

I honestly could see her being in the show as much as stay puff maybe.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 4:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Well, I mean, let's face it, the Dave Coulier Venkman became rather toned down from the more womanizing way they wrote Lorenzo Music Venkman anyway. No doubt some dictate about "Providing a good role model in relationships blah blah blah" but what it means is that having Dana in the show post-GB2 wouldn't really have "constrained" the character much more than he already was by network fiat.

Dana should never have become a big part of the cartoon, but I think being a very occassional guest star--or even just simply mentioned--after GB2 would have been workable. It would have actually caused Venkman being less womanizing to have carried the verisimilitude of character growth. An addition to the character instead of a subtraction.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 10:39 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I feel she shooed have bin in the show much in the same way you guys fee .

I still fell if she had bin in the show she would have donned a pack fore one episode .

also thinking a bout it me may have got-ten episode where Peter and Dana go on a double date with Egon and Janine.

I can just see it now . Peter telling Egon all the moves he shooed try .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 7:46 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
rgbforever wrote:
I was going to post this poll before I saw Fritz's post in the movie forum "Peter and Dana" but upon reading it it was the kick in the a** to remind me to post this poll...

I really think TRG was fine the way it was...didn't need another female in there messing around. Peter and Dana's relationship was complicated enough in the movies (still don't quite understand how she went from despising him to kissing him at the end :?: ) so imagine how dumbed down it would have to be for kids in a cartoon. I would personally hate having to say "guess this is gonna be a Dana-centric episode" ... :roll:

I'm curious as to how many people really noticed her absence...my guess from visiting other message boards and the amount of fanfics NOT rotated around her, I'm guessing not much...

In my little mind, I've made her out to be a lil' more bad ass than she was in the movies (only because I like bad ass women 8-) ) which makes her not so 'easy', more discerning, confident, and witty than most women, therefore making her more attractive to Peter...but that doesn't mean that I needed to see her in the cartoon...

Discuss!

I always felt she should've been there. Funny you should mention that. She was a badass in Alien.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 3:47 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
I'm personally not a fan of Dana, so I'm sorta glad she never made it into the cartoon.

Now, according to the episode where a movie is made about the ghostbusters, the ghostbusters movies we know are biographical movies of real events on the rgb world. When making movies based on real stories, things often get put in and taken out, characters are altered, ect, which explains why the guys are so different in between continuities. The cartoon treats the movie as a glamourized version of real events. Since Dana was never mentioned in the cartoon, my theory is that she did exist, but she was just another customer and didn't make much of an impact on cartoon Peter.
When you take the second movie into account, I think in the cartoon's version of events, it wasn't Dana and her baby involved in a plot, but a different woman altogether, and the second movie fused the two women together to make the ongoing romance story more interesting, thus explaining why Peter and Dana were randomly together at the end of gb1, and suddenly broken up with Dana a mother to another guy's baby in gb2.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 7:16 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Your theory makes a lot of sense, ghostbuster-cahill. I was reading recently about how Arthur Miller fused together characters in The Crucible (among the many changes he made) for the sake of storytelling, and I know it's happened in other fictional accounts of true stories, only I can't think of any more examples right now.

I finally voted in the poll, and went for the "doesn't matter" option. I never, ever missed Dana when I used to watch RGB as a small child. Now I can imagine that she'd work pretty well as a recurring character and, thinking of what her relationship with Peter might be, I'm groping for comparisons. I'm afraid I can only come up with an old detective show called Bergerac that I'm pretty sure no one outside the UK will have heard of. Bearing all this in mind, perhaps that kind of relationship wouldn't be so interesting for children, but I don't think the occasional Dana appearance - romantically involved with Peter or not - would have taken anything away.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 7:58 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I think Dana's long-term inclusion into the ghostbusters-verse was hindered by her lack of a direct connection to the business. Essentially, Dana is their first client and Peter's girlfriend and either role would only necessitate her being around on rare occasions so she would never really have become much of a major character even if she had been involved in the cartoon series. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner that way, I think. I'd even say it made more sense for Louis to be in the second film than Dana, as at the end of the first film he obviously had an interest in the Ghostbusters and I can easily imagine that he'd volunteer to become their accountant in lieu of payment.

If she'd been a cop, or a reporter, or someone who could interact with the ghostbusters in another capacity than just being their first client and Peter's girlfriend, then she could easily have been more involved in the cartoon series. I personally wouldn't have minded at all if she were there, as long as it made sense in the universe in which she was in.

Speaking of Dana, take a look at this fantastic makeup tutorial coincidentally posted on You Tube yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsCnHnsHmQ
Great look for Halloween, I think! :D

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.