It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:44 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject: Re: Egon And Janine
PostPosted: September 18th, 2013, 3:03 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Fritz wrote:
Lol..yeah, you're gonna fit in just fine around here.

:)

:) Years of pent up OTP feelings... Containment has been breached, if you know what I mean!

PostPosted: September 18th, 2013, 3:08 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

annasibs wrote:
needsmorecoffee wrote:
I remember yelling my television so loud during the Cohila episode that my parents almost turned the TV off because they thought it was upsetting me! Ah, little did they know, I'd rewatch everything years later and still yell at the screen!

I get what you mean. The Cohila episode got me tearing at my hair. But I think the IDW comics is doing a good job of feeding the shippers so far.

Yeah, Burnham and Schoening are top notch. I know they have to get permission for everything, but even though they have to jump through a million hoops, it's all coming together so well. Definitely feeding into the OTP.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 11:44 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I don't know how many of you watch Fox's Bones, but I was ready this new article about the upcoming season and the last few paragraphs are a truly prim example of what I wish Burnham would say about E/J! Except of course it would be almost 3 decades(gasp). Or, you know, Dan could say it about the new movie script, or about a new animated show, or a new video game. I'm honestly not that picky. :P
Yeah Bones and Booth! But I really wish it was Egon and Janine!

Here's the link to the article: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/bones-booth-brennan-live-happily-ever-002700665.html

And here's the last few paragraphs:

But what does that future look like? "The challenge is seeing how solid this relationship is," Nathan says. "We're going to be challenging them with ever more difficult and dangerous cases and see how that impacts their lives. They're going to have to deal with certain realities that they haven't had to deal with before. ... While it's never going to be a domestic show, there are elements that will confront them."

But as Nathan told us at the beginning of the season, there's no need to worry about the couple living happily ever after. "The essential difference between these characters is not going to change and that's the engine that drives the show," Nathan says. "We don't want to put these two in a situation that we dreamt about for nine years and then imply that the relationship is in jeopardy," he says. "This is a relationship the audience has been rooting for [for] almost a decade, and we're going to honor that relationship."

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Dear Gods...you know how good Erik Burnham is?

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 57#p464657

Quote:
I just want to say this comic has been the best ever done about our favourite Fab Four and their secretary. The characterization is top-notch, especially with Janine. Her best aspects of her RGB season 1 persona and movie persona have been combined perfectly. Dare I say, I'm actually looking forward to the time Egon gets it through his head and pursues more than just friendship with her

I'm not going to tell you who wrote this. You'll have to see for yourself.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2015, 7:09 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
ghostdiva wrote:
I don't know how many of you watch Fox's Bones, but I was ready this new article about the upcoming season and the last few paragraphs are a truly prim example of what I wish Burnham would say about E/J! Except of course it would be almost 3 decades(gasp). Or, you know, Dan could say it about the new movie script, or about a new animated show, or a new video game. I'm honestly not that picky. :P
Yeah Bones and Booth! But I really wish it was Egon and Janine!

"This is a relationship the audience has been rooting for [for] almost a decade, and we're going to honor that relationship."

....A comment from 2013, and it still hasn't happened. Sigh.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if we'd had some progress on the Egon/Janine relationship. Even a little bit of progress would have been better than nothing. I think they've got great potential as a couple, but instead we've been stuck with the way it is and the way it has been for thirty years. There has been no development of their characters at all, and nothing new to surprise us.

Janine has remained a strong female character, but her storyline is always tied up with who she is dating, whether it be Louis, Roger, or Paul. Never the guy she loves, though. Take the IDW ongoing as an example: Janine spends more on-panel time with Roger than Egon. Egon spends more on-panel time with Kylie than Janine. Janine spends more time with a love interest while Egon spends more time working productively with a lab assistant.

Why can't Janine assist Egon in the lab? Move her relationship with Egon up a step, and she can work with him more, alongside him. She can research with him, take notes with him, study with him, and have a more pro-active approach in the workplace. She likes to read, so let her read Tobin's. Let her study some of Ray and Egon's literature. Switch it up a little. She's been reading magazines, filing her nails, answering the phone sarcastically and stuck in the same routine for way too long. It was great that she took charge when the guys were in another dimension, but it's a shame that she shows the best of herself when the others aren't around. Because Egon and Janine are stuck, we aren't seeing the best of her, and we aren't seeing her potential. When Egon's around she respects his feelings, but it means that all she does is bring him cocoa and make sure he eats regularly when he's caught up with some experiment. She reverts to mothering him, which for a woman with such a strong personality is not great.

Then there's the unfortunate situation with Janine's dating choices. She either remains single, pining for a man she doesn't even know is interested and looking desperate and pathetic, or she goes out on dates with other men, which leaves her open to unfair accusations and judgement from both fans and colleagues alike. She just can't win. It's a fine balance for a female character to take, and I don't think Janine has come through it unscathed. Keep in mind the fact that Janine has canonically dated only three other men aside from Egon, whereas Peter has dated who knows how many women aside from Dana. Dating Egon would mean Janine wouldn't have to suffer those issues anymore.

Egon's character also suffers from their lack of progress in a relationship. In the IDW comics, he's aware of her affection but this genius seems unable to take the ultimate step of asking her out. In RGB he side steps the issue, takes evasive action, and retreats to his lab when things get too uncomfortable (or difficult for him to deal with). We've never had an explanation for it; fan ficcers have had to come up with excuses (ranging from him being a trembling virgin to a closet homosexual). There is no canonical explanation for his reluctance to date her, and the fan excuses are getting tired.

One thing I was really looking forward to with the Egon/Roger/Janine love triangle was seeing Egon being more pro-active and actually doing something positive. Seeing a threat and trying to neutralise it in his own brilliant scientific way, much as he would with a pesky class two (not saying he'd kill Roger, just that he could have tried to cleverly sabotage some of Roger's efforts to woo Janine). In the end, Egon stood back and did nothing except get irritated and jealous, just as he did when Paul Smart came on the scene in RGB. No character development, and no new insight into Egon's distinctly individual personality.

Egon's character should be more than that. He's a genius, and yet when it comes to Janine he's stuck doing the same thing every other guy does. He could be having some quality interaction with Janine, teaching her new things, working with her, sharing some of his intellect with her without being patronising about it. His interest is in spores, molds and fungi, and she has a love of plants - there could be some sort of shared discussion there. They work in the same place, have the same co-workers. They could share ideas; basic concepts on stuff like equipment or methods of working which might be seeds planted by Janine which grow with Egon's intellect into something more efficient, which then are designed and built by Ray. He could find some inspiration in her. We might even be able to find out more about him through his relationship with her; might get more insight into his background and family. After all, we only found out about Janine's family because Egon was with them in an episode of RGB.

They are practically in a relationship already. In GB1 Janine flirted with him, they held hands with each other, they had an 'I'm afraid you're gonna die' embrace and she enthusiastically greeted him when they'd survived Gozer. Four moments/scenes in one movie. For a man who 'isn't interested', Egon seems very open to physical contact. More physical contact than the main love interest couple Peter and Dana.

Peppered throughout the RGB series are numerous moments/scenes where Janine flirts with Egon, where they embrace, and she kisses him and they date on more than one occasion. In EGB, they are still together, working alongside each other. Kylie takes Ray's place as research assistant, but Janine stays with Egon, although her role again is maternal in nature. 

Although there were no hugs, and no hand-holding in the IDW comics, there was an enthusiastic kiss when Egon returned from the other dimension but then it went all quiet as the Egon/Roger/Janine triangle took over. 

They have been affectionate with each other, they've dated and even kissed. They are already more than friends.

But a relationship is more than physical affection. It's a balance of minds and personalities. They've been working alongside each other for years, they know their strengths and weaknesses; in fact they would know more about each other than the average person dating someone they just met. In any natural environment, two co-workers in such a close relationship with each other, with that kind of affection for each other, and even with such strong personalities, would have got together after the events of the first film. 

I can't help but think that the first movie had the perfect set up for them as a couple, and that it would have been the most natural progression to have them continue on from that. They were outwardly affectionate while working together alongside each other ("I'm afraid you're gonna die"). Looking out for each other in times of danger (holding hands running out of the Firehouse, Janine embracing Egon post-Gozer battle), while still having their quirky personalities ("I collect Spores, Molds and Fungus"). It's all right there bundled up in a neat package. Moving them forward would have simply meant taking those moments and expanding upon them.

I just think we're missing out on the best of Egon and Janine, and I really wish things were different. We've already seen where they are now. Where they are stuck. Can we see where they'll end up, and what they'll become? Some development, and something new. Instead of Janine coming to the lab with a cocoa for Egon, how about she come into the lab with an idea for how they can get more funding, or how they can tackle some ghost of the week. Instead of Egon running from Janine, let's see them with their heads together in the lab, working over some new piece of equipment while Ray's out on a job, her handing him tools, talking about stuff, being together? I think keeping them apart is holding them back, and if they had a chance to be together, really together, I think we could see something better, something more, something new and interesting. 

I'm not keeping up a proper tally, but from what I can tell the majority of fans, fan fiction writers, Annie Potts, Maurice LaMarche, Laura Summer and JMS support the idea of them being in a relationship together.

Then there's James Van Hise: "It must be both of you. Together you're stronger than you are apart." - NOW! RGB#23. I think that quote summarises what I'm saying. Together, they could do more, be more interesting, and we could see more of their individual characters than we will ever do while the powers that be keep them apart.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 11:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I can't add a whole lot to this--I've spent the last dozen years pontificating on this subject on this thread, it's predecessor on the old board, and in my stories.

nikki wrote:
Janine has remained a strong female character, but her storyline is always tied up with who she is dating, whether it be Louis, Roger, or Paul.

That's something that, perhaps being a male, never occurred to me until the last few years. It's something I worry about now even in my own work; like who she's dating or not dating is the main part of her character. I know love can be an encompassing experience, but yeah, it does smack of stereotypical "All teh wimminz think about is luv" stuff.

Quote:
Then there's the unfortunate situation with Janine's dating choices. She either remains single, pining for a man she doesn't even know is interested and looking desperate and pathetic, or she goes out on dates with other men, which leaves her open to unfair accusations and judgement from both fans and colleagues alike. She just can't win.

Yeah, and I know I've been guilty of that myself in the past. I still don't think she comes across very well in GB2, not only because she's chasing the wrong man, but because she just seems so completely different from the GB1 portrayal. "Desperate and pathetic" indeed. But you're right--nobody should be judging her worse than Venkman, who is, as the saying goes, is/was a real hound.

Quote:
One thing I was really looking forward to with the Egon/Roger/Janine love triangle was seeing Egon being more pro-active and actually doing something positive. Seeing a threat and trying to neutralise it in his own brilliant scientific way, much as he would with a pesky class two (not saying he'd kill Roger, just that he could have tried to cleverly sabotage some of Roger's efforts to woo Janine). In the end, Egon stood back and did nothing except get irritated and jealous, just as he did when Paul Smart came on the scene in RGB. No character development, and no new insight into Egon's distinctly individual personality.

Agreed. I really thought the subplot with the "magic book" c. #5 was leading to something. V2#6 was about as close as we got to the Egon/Janine/Roger story going anywhere, and while there's been some hints (namely the "We need to talk" moment between Janine and Roger in V2#6 and, of course, Roger leaving New York without her) it was really disappointing.

Again, a lot of this probably does go back to the Powers That Be.

Quote:
I can't help but think that the first movie had the perfect set up for them as a couple, and that it would have been the most natural progression to have them continue on from that. They were outwardly affectionate while working together alongside each other ("I'm afraid you're gonna die"). Looking out for each other in times of danger (holding hands running out of the Firehouse, Janine embracing Egon post-Gozer battle), while still having their quirky personalities ("I collect Spores, Molds and Fungus"). It's all right there bundled up in a neat package. Moving them forward would have simply meant taking those moments and expanding upon them.

As I've said before, what a statement GB2 might have been if we discover that Venkman and Dana, the "A" couple, crashed and burned, then compared it to Egon and Janine, the "B" couple, as happily if eccentrically married. Yeah, we know, Ramis, but man, would a lot of fans have loved that far more than the "desperate and pathetic" show we got instead.

Quote:
I'm not keeping up a proper tally, but from what I can tell the majority of fans, fan fiction writers, Annie Potts, Maurice LaMarche, Laura Summer and JMS support the idea of them being in a relationship together.

Then there's James Van Hise: "It must be both of you. Together you're stronger than you are apart." - NOW! RGB#23. I think that quote summarizes what I'm saying. Together, they could do more, be more interesting, and we could see more of their individual characters than we will ever do while the powers that be keep them apart.

I guess there is small room to hope. I've held off saying anything about this but it's been almost a year and a half: Ramis, the main blocker, has Cross To the Other Side. Sony is semi-abandoning the original characters and the permutations of their story in favor of a completely new universe and new characters.

Could this "free" IDW or anyone else to tell the stories of the original Ghostbusters with a little less necessity to keep the status quo intact? Granted, Reitman and Akyroyd have something allegedly in the works, but who knows if that will ever come to fruition? They do have a track record here, and Sony's probably looking at it as something to keep them (and some of the fans) quiet. They're hoping for a monster hit on Feigbusters, which would mean "We think this new universe is the one we consider more relevant and marketable for the movies and cartoons blah blah" or if it faceplants "Well, it's obvious Ghostbusters is a property who's time has passed blah blah" They then may not care as much about what the comics do as long as they sell.

I dunno...I guess I'm starting to blather.

Thanks for some thought-provoking comments, nikki
:)

PostPosted: July 11th, 2015, 10:00 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
That's something that, perhaps being a male, never occurred to me until the last few years. It's something I worry about now even in my own work; like who she's dating or not dating is the main part of her character. I know love can be an encompassing experience, but yeah, it does smack of stereotypical "All teh wimminz think about is luv" stuff.

It's interesting when you compare Janine's character with Kylie's. They both have love interests in Egon and Eduardo but Kylie manages to be her own person, be studious and more involved with the ghostbusting world in both EGB and the IDW comics. I know Kylie's role is a ghostbuster and Janine's is a secretary, but Janine has on occasion been a ghostbuster as well, so when Kylie's not around her role could be expanded similarly.

Her romantic interest in Egon could have been the perfect setup for some character development for Janine. She could have started off as in GB1; largely uninterested in her job and sarcastically answering the phone, but by RGB she could start to hover around the lab, to be closer to the guy she's got a crush on. She starts to pick up some scientific terms, and helps them out when researching. Her evolution into a ghostbuster could pretty much start there. Egon has more (non-romantic) interaction with her, starts to mellow a bit towards her, be less afraid of her, and by the time GB2 comes around they are dating and working closely together, as much of a team as Egon and Ray are. She's secretary/lab assistant/occasional ghostbuster by now, and her character has progressed from uninterested secretary to that of an involved ghostbuster. In EGB, they are married - Kylie, Eduardo, Roland and Garrett are their 'kids'. Now she can show her maternal side, because there are young people to mother.

She could still be a strong female character, but in the scenario I've just gone through it's not all about love. It's about determination, progressing in her career, learning new stuff, being more involved in her job and maybe picking up the guy she loves along the way. As Kylie's relationship with Eduardo didn't define her, Janine's relationship with Egon could have helped her develop as a character.

Quote:
Yeah, and I know I've been guilty of that myself in the past. I still don't think she comes across very well in GB2, not only because she's chasing the wrong man, but because she just seems so completely different from the GB1 portrayal. "Desperate and pathetic" indeed. But you're right--nobody should be judging her worse than Venkman, who is, as the saying goes, is/was a real hound.

What's even worse is when Venkman is making the sarcastic comments or judging her relationships as he has done in the IDW universe. It really grinds my gears. He's got no place to talk or lecture Janine on her dating choices. Venkman had a significant relationship with Dana, and he gets the freedom to date/flirt with whoever (including Mel). Janine hasn't had any real, significant relationship with Egon but she gets harsh criticism whenever she dates someone else.

Venkman seems to be picking on the wrong person - Janine has made her affection for Egon known to Egon. She's done her best, and despite everything got nowhere. What else could she possibly do? Maybe it's time for Venkman to start talking to his best buddy about it, encouraging him to make a move, and ask him why he won't do anything instead of criticising and lecturing Janine for trying to move on, as any reasonable person would in her situation. Maybe then we would get some answers; a real canonical explanation why Egon won't date her.

Quote:
Agreed. I really thought the subplot with the "magic book" c. #5 was leading to something. V2#6 was about as close as we got to the Egon/Janine/Roger story going anywhere, and while there's been some hints (namely the "We need to talk" moment between Janine and Roger in V2#6 and, of course, Roger leaving New York without her) it was really disappointing.

Again, a lot of this probably does go back to the Powers That Be.

I agree that most of it is probably down to The Powers That Be, but I just wonder why have a love triangle if it doesn't lead anywhere or shake things up and introduce some drama between the default (main) relationship. Normally these things culminate in the girl/boy choosing one or the other, so if your hands are tied because of instructions from Higher Up, then maybe it would be better to just not do it in the first place. But then I don't suppose this was written as a proper love triangle anyway because Egon wasn't really participating in it. 

I really would have loved to see something different, though. Going into Janine's mind was interesting and helped affirm what we already knew, but I'd have loved to have travelled into Egon's to find out what he really thinks about her, and why he hasn't made a move despite knowing she liked him. Maybe the hint of a wedding ring on older Egon's finger when he met up with the younger version on the stairs in Vol. 2 #16. Maybe a bit of hand-holding once in a while, or a hug - a bit of similar affection they had in the first film and the cartoons. In the few panels Egon and Janine shared in the ongoing, they seemed more angry than affectionate with each other, and the same angry vibe seems to have be happening in Ghostbusters Get Real #1. Do they even like each other in the IDWverse? 

There was a lot of amazing, fantastic, mind-blowingly awesome stuff in the comics and I loved every single one of them, but there could have been something more... I don't know, just some small moments which would have had no real consequences but might have triggered a bit of discussion and enthusiasm amongst us E/J fans. Something which would have kept this thread alive instead of dormant for two years.

Quote:
As I've said before, what a statement GB2 might have been if we discover that Venkman and Dana, the "A" couple, crashed and burned, then compared it to Egon and Janine, the "B" couple, as happily if eccentrically married. Yeah, we know, Ramis, but man, would a lot of fans have loved that far more than the "desperate and pathetic" show we got instead.

True. It certainly would have moved my enthusiasm for the movie up a few notches, and I might be re-watching it now instead of it gathering dust. 

Quote:
I guess there is small room to hope. I've held off saying anything about this but it's been almost a year and a half: Ramis, the main blocker, has Cross To the Other Side. Sony is semi-abandoning the original characters and the permutations of their story in favor of a completely new universe and new characters.

I do have some hope. I wish we could have something new to consider and discuss. I love talking about them because I find them so interesting, and judging from the threads both here and on the IDW boards, Egon and Janine is a popular subject. People talk endlessly on other boards about props or pant legs or whatever, but I prefer discussing the characters and their motivation. 

I was hoping the IDW series would re-ignite some discussion, do something interesting, and if not bring Egon and Janine together then at least make some small steps towards getting them there. Allow us to analyse stuff like we have done with some of the E/J moments in RGB. 

Sometimes I feel a bit like a broken record, repeating myself on this subject, but unless we have something new, after thirty-plus years, what more can we say?

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2015, 8:28 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Hi guys! Sorry I've been so absent, but I have been reading comments and I have to say there is a reason we all ended up here together. Birds of a feather and all. I agree with all the points brought up recently. I really wish that IDW would have been able able to go further with them too. I think the most interesting parts were where Egon and Dana were talking about the tabloids. Maybe they were trying to allude that to much Hollywood gossip broke them up? It's some theory anyway. Maybe it made them doubt each other, made up scandals with just enough facts to make you wonder...

I've kinda been mourning the franchise this last year or so. Seems to me like it's being sucked into a vortex of some kind. With this stupid new movie ( never did like any of the actresses or the director, can't see it working out) I just don't see how we are ever going to be able to get back to the characters we love. Now if you go to cons in old gear people are going to be wondering why you don't get on board with this century. I don't see any reason why mainstream will navigate back to our guys without something new to backtrack them. I just hope IDW can stick with our characters. I hope we can all stick with our characters. Especially Egon and Janine!

Anyone feel like watching shows like the 'Big Bang Theory' and seeing it's popularity would make someone higher up in Hollywood see that nerd love is a beautiful thing and that E/J are a perfect couple to extort that with!

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 9:56 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

ghostdiva wrote:
I think the most interesting parts were where Egon and Dana were talking about the tabloids. Maybe they were trying to allude that to much Hollywood gossip broke them up? It's some theory anyway. Maybe it made them doubt each other, made up scandals with just enough facts to make you wonder...

That would fit with them being confrontational with each other. Although I have difficulty in thinking that Egon would believe anything the tabloids wrote.

But... Well, there are no answers, really. 'I don't like to talk about it' is Egon's catchphrase when it comes to Egon and Janine, so we're going to get nothing out of him. Janine got caught up with the Roger situation, so we don't get any answers from her, either.

A lot seemed to have been set up and then left by the wayside; a few throwaway lines here and there which may have meant something and probably meant nothing. The computer programme, the gris-gris, the discussion about the tabloids, Egon experiencing something similar to Winston... I don't know.

There are loose ends dangling all over the place... :lol: :D

PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 1:48 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I hate to follow my own post with another post, but...
I was re-watching the first movie, and was actually quite surprised by the level of affection demonstrated between Egon and Janine. Pretty much every single scene they were in together (aside from their first scene), they were affectionate in some way with each other.

But don't just take my word for it, here are the screengrabs! :lol: 8-)

First scene together - no physical affection, but he was under her desk, so... :lol:
Also, I know that some people think the 'I collect Spores, Molds and Fungus' line from Egon was supposed to be a rebuff, but Egon is answering the question Janine asked. 

Second scene together, Janine holds his arm as they walk back to the Firehouse together. She complements him, calls him a humanitarian and although Egon responds by saying he didn't think he was human, again this is a statement of fact and not a rebuff.

Following on from that scene there is the focussed look between them and the hug. "I'm afraid you're gonna die." Notice the hint of a smile from Egon.

And look how close they are on that sofa! 
For comparison's sake, here's Ray and Egon sitting on the same sofa. 

It's big enough for them to be further apart if they wanted to be. 
Fourth scene together they are both protecting the containment unit. While the police officer and Con Ed guy argue in the foreground, in the background, Janine is holding onto Egon's arm:

When the containment unit blows, he's holding her hand as they run for their lives:

From the bottom of the basement stairs (see shadow on wall)...

... and through the Firehouse. 
And finally their last scene together:

It seems as if they leave holding hands, as well. He moves his arm as if to catch her hand when she lowers it as they walk away. And again, there's another smile from Egon after they hug.

So, for each scene that they shared in the first film (except one), they demonstrate some form of affection for each other (this does not include the lucky coin deleted scene).  Janine doesn't really need to be at the end credits. She wasn't in the crowd outside Dana's apartment block. She wasn't involved in the Gozer conflict as Dana and Louis were. She was there for a specific reason; to emphasise that Egon and Janine are the secondary love interest couple to Peter and Dana as the primary love interest couple. 

It's interesting that people think that Egon is irritated by Janine, or wanting to distance himself because of the way he responds to her, and yet it is in his nature to respond in an accurate manner. I suppose it could be taken as rebuffs and an attempt to dissuade her from any romantic interest, but in watching it again I think it's just in his nature to respond to any questions in that way - he's not rebuffing her advances, he's just answering her questions. He's not being hostile; he's being accurate and stating facts. His hobby is collecting spores, molds and fungus. He does think 'print is dead'. He didn't think Louis/Vinz was human. Nothing to do with trying to turn Janine away, just statements of fact. Besides, if he wasn't interested in her, then he wouldn't have been so easy to hug her, or hold her hand. His behaviour is typical of his unique character whilst also demonstrating some degree of affection for Janine. 

We don't hyper-analyse Dana's responses to Venkman and yet she couldn't have made it any more obvious when she was rebuffing his advances (by throwing him out of her apartment; "will you please leave..."; "No... no, no, no, no."; "that's not necessary..."; "I can't see you Thursday, I'm busy..."). 

It's strange that the accepted theory about the first movie is that Egon is a cold and distant person even though he's hugging Janine, holding her hand, smiling and very physically close to her in every scene they share; and Dana is the undisputed love interest of Venkman's despite the fact that she spends a very large portion of the film pushing him away, rebuffing his advances and telling him she's not interested.  

It's almost as if people are watching a different movie. Weird. :shock:

Last edited by nikki on November 25th, 2018, 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 8:10 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

This last post deserves a response. You are correct! Maybe people don't get it because it wasn't outrageous like P/D was, maybe it was just to casual and unspoken for most people.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2015, 7:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
This last post deserves a response.

Agreed. I just couldn't think of anything worth adding at the time.

Quote:
You are correct! Maybe people don't get it because it wasn't outrageous like P/D was, maybe it was just to casual and unspoken for most people.

I suppose in the eyes of Ramis and others--though mostly Ramis--it made it "not funny enough". Which I personally think is a load of horseshit, but I'm just a guy spouting off on the internet, not a famous writer/director/actor.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:23 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Ever since I first found this thread in my lurking days, there's just so much I want to say here. Like how I would've rewritten GBII to fit E/J, exactly WHY E/J appeals to me so much, whatnot.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2016, 10:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

HauntedWallflower wrote:
Ever since I first found this thread in my lurking days, there's just so much I want to say here. Like how I would've rewritten GBII to fit E/J, exactly WHY E/J appeals to me so much, whatnot.

Feel free to do so! That's what it's here for!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 1:37 am 
Moononite
Moononite

*deep breath*

I've never been truly attached to the idea of Peter/Dana together, they just didn't give me enough shipping vibes. Besides, there's only so many times that a couple can crash and burn. Besides, if Harold Ramis didn't look back favourably on his cute scenes with Annie Potts, then he probably should've put in some subtle indications in the script.

I personally would've had Egon and Janine date for two years after the Gozer incident, then be in their 3rd year of marriage by GBII. And honestly, Harold and Annie may not need to even share lots of scenes together just to indicate that they're happily married. Fritz, was it you who thought that Harold may not have found Egon/Janine funny enough for the movie? If that was the case, there are just so many ideas we can all put together to make it funny. Like the scene with them discussing the pink mood slime. Just when Peter calls Egon a hound for sleeping with it, maybe have Janine come in and serve them coffee and Ray would be like, "He cheated on you with THAT!" Janine would pretend to be shocked, then sidle up to Egon suggestively and be like, "Who said anything about cheating?" It would be fun to see Egon's face go from embarrassed to triumphant to embarrased again. Simple, yet effective! And maybe throw in a hint at the end of the movie that they conceived as a result of the slime-induced romp :lol:

But, honestly, for all the conclusions you all drew up about why Harold disliked the pairing, I think Harold may have thought that Peter/Dana was the only OTP that mattered to the movies. And in his and Ivan Reitman's eyes, GB and GBII were both Bill Murray movies. Murray's the star, just like Murray's is the only figure included in the Ghostbusters toy pack for Lego Dimensions (The others are in the Firehouse playset).

I guess E/J are the only pairing that I care about (and the canon gives me both a migraine and a heartache sometimes, because I look at them and I see stability. Secure, happy, emotional stability. The glue that we want in all of our OTPs and I just couldn't see it with Peter/Dana. Egon isn't just stiffly interacting with her, he's reacting as though this is the first time a lady has ever approached him. His stiff manner barely matters, because he's actually interacting with her and that's what us E/J shippers see.

And on the topic of IDW's comics, I love Burnham and Schoening's work. And I love that Egon's starting to take notice of his own feelings, albeit at a snail's pace. I can't wait to see what shipteasing antics are in store for us in Volume 3. Maybe Egon being grounded in New York might bring us something interesting....if Janine doesn't go all-out insane from the paperwork and the hiring process.

*and exhale* I feel good.

PS: Don't let there be a comic about Egon having his heart near-permanently broken by an ex that resembles Sean Young though....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next