It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:49 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Egon's degrees
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 4:10 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
So I didn't see this as a previous topic, but it could have been talked about before.

What would you list as Egon's degrees of study?

There are multiple areas of study he seems to dabble into, so those are up in the air.

Evidence for a medical or forensics degree is in the video game and in GBII, but in RGB he says that he has no medical experience ( I think Peter was trying to get Slimer off his leg when Egon said that), but Egon's family lab is biological in some way, you don't have rooms full of mice unless your testing genes or creating medicines or testing medicines or studying mice for some reason, which would be veteternarian in nature.

He obviously has some kind of Physics degree, some kind of degree in parapsychology or occult history or ancient cultures or history or something like that.

So, what would you narrow it down to? How many is too many realistically?

Post subject: Re: Egon's degrees
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 8:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Well, he doesn't need to have a degree in everything he studied, of course.

He has a minimum of one Doctorate, or they wouldn't call him "Doctor"--presumably in physics. If Venkman of all people can have two doctorates, I don't see any problem with saying Egon has at least one more, probably in something more "Ghostbusterish"--ie, parapsychology, ancient history, as you suggest.

The closest I ever got in a story to a full summary, I think, was in Busted:

Quote:
Spengler is a child prodigy who got his first physics degree at age twelve, going on to master such diverse and arcane fields as parapsychology, ancient languages, and mycology.

Now this is less official, but here goes:
He earned his Doctorate in Physics at MIT before going to Columbia for more "soft" subjects, such as linguistics, history, parapsychology, ect. per "Pandora's Box" and "Ghostbusting 101". I would presume he has a degree, if not a doctorate, in Parapsychology, which is what he's studying in "Ghostbusting 101" (where he also meets a slacker named Peter Venkman).

He's definitely mastered a number of languages. In canon, sign language, Sumerian, Mesopotamian, and whatever (presumably Nordic-related) language the Ragnarok message was written in, of which he's only one of three people in the world capable of reading as of 1984. Furthermore, knowledge of Greek and Latin would seem almost a no-brainer; on the other hand, per an EGB episode, he's not very fluent in Spanish.

A background in Forensics, if not an actual degree, is mentioned in both the video game and hinted at in the EGB episode "Killjoys". I really don't see him as being a full MD though.

This is even less official, because I never even stated it in a story, but I actually tend to think he doesn't have any formal degree in mycology, since it's his "hobby" :lol:

So basically, definitely a PhD in Physics, probably at least one more PhD in either Lingustics or Parapsychology (if not both), and at least some education in Forensics. Mycology mostly self-taught.

Hm...this might be an interesting look for ideas, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... al_studies

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 9:36 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Yea, that's pretty much what I was leaning towards. Maybe the family lab is mostly full of mycologist and he just grew up with it learning everything without classes. That would explain all the rats, lol.

So Egon's first job was as a coroner? Maybe he was working there and at the fast food place at the same time. (Now I REALLY don't want to know what experiments he did in the deep fryer), but they probably fired him for trying to reanimate the dead? Maybe he did this at MIT and when he was fired came to teach at columbia, picking up nuclear physics, parapsychology, linguistics and ancient history? Doctorates in forensics, parapsych and neuclear physics.

That is one formidable fountain of knowledge for sure.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2011, 1:36 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Some of these things I don't buy; the grade school degree for one. I started being able to get dual college credit as a freshman in high school I think. Not before because it was for some reason not allowed despite adhering the same curriculum. I'm from Illinois and assume Egon is from Ohio due to his family being there.

Skipping grades, yes, possible. But I doubt an associates even in grade school. I got mine a semester after I graduated high school after taking a full load of college courses for about a year, it's a matter of time, since he wasn't born knowing everything. Even studying all the time would make it difficult, and he would probably be even less socially able as a result.

As for PhDs...I doubt biology too. Probably has a wide array of knowledge on it, but not MD status. He has no bedside manner and I doubt he served a residency.