It is currently December 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15
Author Message
PostPosted: November 24th, 2019, 5:55 am 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman

Joined: July 31st, 2016, 7:19 am
Posts: 108
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Zodiac: Gemini
Insert 7: Oh, Brother!, by me.

11 – 12 August 2004: Kevin has an emotional afternoon before finally meeting his new brother.
Rated T

As promised, here is the second in a trilogy of "baby" stories, which is also the first in an overlapping trilogy of stories from me. Quite a few character dynamics will be explored in these, but it should come as no surprise that all three have Kevin/Oscar at their emotional core because (as everybody knows) their relationship is my emotional core.

This one is followed by an Extension, which is an excerpt from the very first adult story I ever wrote. It features Carl and Beth having a quick conversation about Kevin and Oscar "crossing the final frontier" as it were, and I felt it was relevant enough to the subject matter and feels of the main story to warrant a place alongside it on the website.

_________________
"Oh no, I let it loose!"


Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on December 8th, 2019, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: November 25th, 2019, 3:57 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Posts: 3256
Location: Indianapolis
Zodiac: Taurus
KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Insert 7: Oh, Brother!, by me.

11 – 12 August 2004: Kevin has an emotional afternoon before finally meeting his new brother.
Rated T

As promised, here is the second in a trilogy of "baby" stories, which is also the first in an overlapping trilogy of stories from me. Quite a few character dynamics will be explored in these, but it should come as no surprise that all three have Kevin/Oscar at their emotional core because (as everybody knows) their relationship is my emotional core.

This one is followed by an Extension, which is an excerpt from the very first adult story I ever wrote. It features Carl and Beth having a quick conversation about Kevin and Oscar "crossing the final frontier" as it were, and I felt it was relevant enough to the subject matter and feels of the main story to warrant a place alongside it on the website.


Yet another one where I could see younger readers going "Why don't they just call on their cell phones or text each other?" :lol:

Quote:
'Hey, yeah! Why should I always be the one who has to make the effort? He could bring the whole family out here for a vacation – I bet they'd enjoy that.'

'Are you gonna suggest the idea to him?' Kevin asked.

'I might well,' said Oscar


Well, yeah, you need to have them visit to so your half sister and half brother can grudgingly fall in love, and that's not actually as creepy as it sounds! Hop to it!!! :twisted:

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: November 27th, 2019, 10:13 am 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Posts: 982
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Zodiac: Cancer
In some ways, this story epitomises Carl's emotional journey from 'Rage' to this point and beyond, showing him in probably the best place he can be with Kevin (considering what's gone before) and being presented with the chance to build on his good work with the (as we may recall, unexpected) arrival of James. I don't think we can dislike Carl any longer for his raw feelings, shown in his initial reaction to seeing Kevin and Oscar kissing, as the part of himself he actually has control over ensures that Kevin knows nothing about it. I think Kevin reads too much into Carl's assumption that Oscar wants a lift home rather than anywhere else, but it's also an understandable reaction, given what he's been led to expect from such encounters. It was a very good idea to have that conversation in the car, to clear up any misunderstanding and allow both of them to keep on learning about each other.

Beth, of course, fulfils her usual role of saying mom stuff (and doing it too: birthing and then feeding a baby is the very epitome of mom stuff). Eagle-eyed Collinsverse enthusiasts will notice that James was delivered by the same midwife as Conchita, and they may wonder whether we have seen and heard the last of her. They may indeed wonder...

_________________
EGB Fan's EGB Fans
Original Writing

'Rosey Collins an XGB fan from the UK.'
-Fil Barlow
Yep, that about sums me up. 8-)


Top
   
PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 6:13 am 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman

Joined: July 31st, 2016, 7:19 am
Posts: 108
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Zodiac: Gemini
I can't tell you how much less stressful I've found it writing a story set in 2004 where a young adult like Kevin might well not be weighed down with all kinds of electronic gadgets such as cell phones, than writing a story set in 2023 where a young adult doing something like using a payphone in a hospital (an act that seems as simple and everyday to me as breathing in and out) is actually an incredibly outdated idea, and an equally unlikely action for someone like James or Conchita as creating a series of cave paintings!

The inclusion of Hayden and Jessica's relationship in the Collinsverse is something I'm very excited about (as we'll be reminded in the very near future, coincidentally enough) but I feel I must warn you that if you're looking for the "grudgingly" aspect specifically, you're in the wrong universe. Their deep and fascinating connection is certainly unlikely, unexpected and long drawn out, but as it's unfolding exclusively online, it really has to be a welcome beacon of love and understanding for both of them, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing it. And I must admit that I, personally, prefer that kind of relationship because I like it when people are genuinely nice to each other.

As everybody knows, Carl's journey has interested me enormously and I've very much enjoyed calling in on it at various stages while writing these Inserts. Hopefully he and Kevin are starting to get back on track now by reaching a place of mutual love and respect, which is much more important to them both than any raw feelings they know they need to ignore. And I hope it's clear that Kevin does have plenty of raw feelings of his own and they do affect him sometimes (as he told James under the truck during the denouement of the Summer Special) but he knows there's no point giving in to them and actually letting them affect his real-life relationships. Of course, that's not to say they won't come out in some way during a future moment of emotional weakness caused by an unexpected trigger...

Looking once again to the more immediate future, watch out next time for Kevin's "meta" comment about Beth's tendency to say mom stuff as we conclude our "baby" trilogy and reach the middle of our "Kevin and Oscar build a life together" trilogy.

_________________
"Oh no, I let it loose!"


Top
   
PostPosted: December 8th, 2019, 5:58 am 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman

Joined: July 31st, 2016, 7:19 am
Posts: 108
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Zodiac: Gemini
Insert 8: Home Fires Burning, by me.

9 December 2006: Kevin and Oscar return from Mexico and meet Kevin's new cousin.
​Rated M

_________________
"Oh no, I let it loose!"


Top
   
PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 6:22 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Posts: 3256
Location: Indianapolis
Zodiac: Taurus
Sorry about taking so long. Like a lot of other people the GB2020 trailer sucked up all my attention the last few days.

Quote:
The inclusion of Hayden and Jessica's relationship in the Collinsverse is something I'm very excited about (as we'll be reminded in the very near future, coincidentally enough) but I feel I must warn you that if you're looking for the "grudgingly" aspect specifically, you're in the wrong universe. Their deep and fascinating connection is certainly unlikely, unexpected and long drawn out, but as it's unfolding exclusively online, it really has to be a welcome beacon of love and understanding for both of them, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing it. And I must admit that I, personally, prefer that kind of relationship because I like it when people are genuinely nice to each other.


Yeah, I admit I'd forgotten that Jess and Hayden weren't as grudging in this version. Which gets illuminated well in the latest story. Which was also well done.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 7:50 am 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Posts: 982
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Zodiac: Cancer
KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
I can't tell you how much less stressful I've found it writing a story set in 2004 where a young adult like Kevin might well not be weighed down with all kinds of electronic gadgets such as cell phones...

Indeed, this payphone scene has survived intact, along with a mere portion of all the pregnancy/birth research we've done between us (though it was agreed that finer details were not needed this time). For the first time in my life, I questioned that scene in Look Who's Talking Too.

The Riveras are existing more or less harmoniously now, although Carl may have to pluck up some courage before he has another shower. That said, it's the kind of home that has a master en-suite (we may even have mentioned it in-story before; I have no idea!), so maybe the family bathroom has essentially always belonged to the child or (more rarely, as we shall see) children of the house.

Carl was right to stay with James rather than go to a tear-filled maternity ward and hear about Rose's complicated exit; he wouldn't have liked that. It's hard to imagine him taking care of a small Kevin on his own, but I know he and James must have had a fun and safe time with the house to themselves, following all of Carl's lessons and looking ahead to their relationship in the Summer Special.

_________________
EGB Fan's EGB Fans
Original Writing

'Rosey Collins an XGB fan from the UK.'
-Fil Barlow
Yep, that about sums me up. 8-)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15

All times are UTC-05:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
EctoChristmas © 2007,2014 Fritz Baugh
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited