It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:43 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 11:52 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
http://www.vg247.com/2010/12/02/ghostbu ... ay-report/

Quote:
USA Today’s revealed Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime, a new title in the IP from Atari.

The game, made by Chilian studio Wanako, is a top-down, four-player co-op adventure title which sees the return of the rookie from Ghostbusters: The Videogame that released last year from Atari and Terminal Reality.
Co-op can be played online and offline. Super massive bosses have been promised as well, which will require teamwork from your team and your arsenal.
The report claims the game won’t feature actors Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd in the game unlike last year’s main effort, but will feature a drivable Ecto-3
It’ll release on PSN, Xbox Live and PC.

Don't worry, nothing to complain about here. Am laughing at mention of "ECTO-3"; like we didn't have enough completely different vehicles with that designation already. :lol:

Sounds forgettable and easily ignorable, actually. I don't think this one is going to start any massive continuity debates.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 7:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 98&t=24232

Quote:
"The general story is that there is a demon that's being resurrected in New York City and because of this process there are lots and lots of ghosts being drawn to New York from all over the world. This means that the original Ghostbusters team is pretty much overrun with work, so they've had to recruit these new rookies to help out.

The original team does take part in the game, but in the story sequences in-between the missions. They are there, but you don't get to play the original characters."

Quote:
"The story references lots of Ghostbusters lore in itself. One of the rookies is related to Dr. Janosz Poha, who was in the second movie.

He's in this script for this game and ends up being the bad guy without knowing it, and then apologising."

Man, I may be the only one, but I'm less excited about this than I was before. I thought it was a more interesting idea to have it take place somewhere besides New York...the feeling of retreading on old ground raises, all the more so with, at bare minimum, crossreferences to a character from the movies.

Well, okay, there's no mention of Gozer yet, so I'll give them that. But if the big bad guy is a demon lumberjack named Horg...

Quote:
"It's been some time since you weren't allowed to cross the streams. Egon hasn't been sitting still with his technology advancements. Now it's an advantage to cross the streams. If you're playing in multiplayer and you're very close and aiming at the same ghosts, you can merge the streams, gain a power advantage, and it also causes splash damage, which affects the ghosts in the surrounding area as well."

It may be just me, but I'm really hating the "It's okay to cross the streams now!" crap ever since it started sneaking in during "Displaced Aggression". I'd rather leave it as a dangerous thing to keep it from being used as a deus ex machina even more than it is.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:07 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Hello everyone, I've been a long time reader of the Ectozone and Fritz's fanfictions, but have never had the occasion to join and post...until I read this early today and had to find someone to commiserate with. Does everyone have to go around creating new versions of Kylie, Eduardo, Roland and Garrett?

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315/ap_ ... ostbusters

The new Atari game, "Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime," is set for release March 23 for Xbox Live Arcade, Sony PlayStation Network and Windows PCs via download at atari.com.

"In 'Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime,' we are introducing an entirely new look and gameplay experience on digital platforms that will impress new and loyal Ghostbusters fans alike," said Jim Wilson, president and CEO of Atari Inc.

The upcoming release lets four players take part and play the roles of rookies who have been tapped to save New York from a ghoulish disaster.

Waltz called the four new characters — Alan Crendall, Samuel Hazer, Bridget Gibbons and Gabriel Sitter — not replacements for the original crew, led by Murray as Venkman, but the next generation.

"What I try to do, to a certain degree, is to mirror the four distinct personalities to our original heroes but in a way that the character who is the Venkman of the group would be the last person you'd think is the Venkman of the group," he said.

He said he also strived to create "characters that are likeable enough in their own way with their personalities," so that "people will accept them."

Ultimately, he added, the characters in the game could find themselves being written into the comics, too.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 9:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Hello everyone, I've been a long time reader of the Ectozone and Fritz's fanfictions, but have never had the occasion to join and post...

Welcome to the nut house.

I see a "GrimmPreacher" on my Admin panel as having signed up in July 2009, and never activating their account. You took your time I guess. :D

I think the reason they came up with new characters is probably the same reason Adelaide did in 1997 and both the 90's script and the current working draft for GB3 do: the original actors won't be around forever, and Sony wants to "expand the franchise" with new characters who are undoubtedly easier to work with than Bill Murray is. :lol:

I dunno. I never cared much about this game at all. I did get a bit annoyed when it seemed they'd either completely changed the backstory for the game, or lied about it early on (see above post), but I got over that quick. It just isn't worth fretting over.

I hope it does well for Atari and the people who buy it enjoy it, but it's just not my thing. :|

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 8:21 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
It's a fun game to play, the style is very similar to the old arcade game Smash TV...but the characters really do feel like retreads of the original four's personalities or even of the XGBs in the case of the black guy being the nerdy one and the girl looking a bit goth.

But basically, Alan (white guy with a ball cap and goatee) is the Winston, Sam (blonde guy) is the Ray, Bridget (the chick) is the Venkman and Gabriel (Black guy with glasses and goatee) is the Egon.

There's also a character named Geoff who looks like either a black or very tan Super Mario and talks with a Brooklyn accent. He does nothing but drive the new Ecto (so the four players can stand on the back and shoot the ghosts). I'm a little curious why the team would waste money hiring a glorified chauffeur, but whatever. It's for gameplay. I don't expect these characters will make it into anyone's canon except maybe an IDW tie-in comic some day, since those almost certainly won't be the names and identities used in GB3 if it ever gets made.

I'm also a bit annoyed that they made up more new proton pack attachments instead of bringing back the ones from the last game, since the new ones basically do behave almost exactly like the ones in that game, the colors are just reversed.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I don't expect these characters will make it into anyone's canon except maybe an IDW tie-in comic some day, since those almost certainly won't be the names and identities used in GB3 if it ever gets made.

Tom Waltz from IDW made a couple posts on GBFans, and basically said "We came up with these all new characters so as not to contradict any new characters in GB3" (If it ever gets made)

About the best I've done right now is kind of pencil in on the "master" timeline on my hard drive (chock full of stuff that will probably never see the light of day, but it helps me keep track) a March 2011 incident requiring GBNY to call in some reservists from GBI, who might found their own franchise afterwards. (Where, I have no idea). But I wouldn't consider that anywhere near "set in GBOT stone" yet.

A lot of it will probably depend on the game's reception, and whether (as you say) they ever appear again anywhere.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 7:35 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
So, what's the opinion on the story? Is there one worth following?
I haven't bought this, I am hosting a baby shower that has gotten way out of hand in every way, including financially. How 10 people turned into 40 and a fruit tray turned into chicken alfredo I really don't know, but someone please distract me from it all for a few moments!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 7:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
So, what's the opinion on the story? Is there one worth following?

Too late for the baby shower, I know, but Paul Rudoff got ahold of a copy of the cut scene script, which gives you a pretty thorough walkthrough of the plot and situation. You can find the link here:

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/ ... ime-script

I read it, and it's not exactly heavy stuff--the fact that it was written by the editor of the IDW GB stuff gives it the vibe of one of their miniseries--but it's not really supposed to be. It's just the window dressing between the shoot-em-ups.

I guess I gotta give it a little credit for referencing GB2, especially in a way that didn't bring back Vigo or something :roll: but more because they didn't go back to the Gozer till. That's been mined way too much lately, as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2011, 5:04 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well Fritz, I think that more than answered my question. Thanks.

An interesting if not overly simplified story line. Kinda reminded me of a EGB ep for some reason (other than the rookies I mean)