It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:42 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 10720&f=54

Confirmation that Alyssa Milano will be playing the new "female lead" in the upcoming video game and...*sigh*...apparently Venkman's love interest.

There's a good character profile .pdf linked in the thread, which will be useful in the future probably, but forgive me if I'm not exactly jumping for joy at all of this.

It seems to make it official in the GBVG continuity at least: Venkman is a pathetic loser who blew it not once but twice. I can accept Dana not being in the game, because she doesn't *need* to be (a reference or two would have sufficed), but I just cannot fathom why they think every story *must* feature Venkman with a love interest, when (as an example) Ray's only canon love interest was in the cartoon, which after all, we've been repeatedly told "doesn't count". :hurl:

I keep wanting to see something to get me into all of this, but so far, it's not working. I wish it would. I'm tired of being the kid sitting in the corner muttering to himself while everyone else is having a party.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 2:04 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Quote:
There's a good character profile .pdf linked in the thread, which will be useful in the future probably, but forgive me if I'm not exactly jumping for joy at all of this.

It seems to make it official in the GBVG continuity at least: Venkman is a pathetic loser who blew it not once but twice. I can accept Dana not being in the game, because she doesn't *need* to be (a reference or two would have sufficed), but I just cannot fathom why they think every story *must* feature Venkman with a love interest, when (as an example) Ray's only canon love interest was in the cartoon, which after all, we've been repeatedly told "doesn't count".

I keep wanting to see something to get me into all of this, but so far, it's not working. I wish it would. I'm tired of being the kid sitting in the corner muttering to himself while everyone else is having a party.

I'm in that corner with you Fritz. And I kinda got pissed to see that she's some super cross of Alison and Dana, like there are multitudes of violin/cello playing supernaturally drawn Sumerian speaking women in the world, whatever.

I enjoy the style of the graphics from an art perspective, but the thought of the story itself makes me kringe.

I've found myself having really weird dreams about the game too. I had one the other night, steming from whatever hope I have left from the comment basically saying Egon and Ray wanted to cool it on the busting to pursue other things. Well, in my dream, and forgive me if this offends anyone it was just a dream, Egon was pretending to be paralyzed from the waist down to get out of busting and everyone believed him except Janine who was in on it so that they could spend more time together. It was a really weird dream. So, I guess I subconsiously stressed about the whole thing. My only hope at this point is that those shopping bags Janine has in the background of her clip are full of the maternity clothes she will need soon, lol. (Highly wishful thinking I'm afraid.)

This is why I need Fritz to finish "The eye..." I need my happy place to not disappear!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2009, 8:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
I've found myself having really weird dreams about the game too. I had one the other night, steming from whatever hope I have left from the comment basically saying Egon and Ray wanted to cool it on the busting to pursue other things. Well, in my dream, and forgive me if this offends anyone it was just a dream, Egon was pretending to be paralyzed from the waist down to get out of busting and everyone believed him except Janine who was in on it so that they could spend more time together. It was a really weird dream. So, I guess I subconsiously stressed about the whole thing. My only hope at this point is that those shopping bags Janine has in the background of her clip are full of the maternity clothes she will need soon, lol. (Highly wishful thinking I'm afraid.)

But what if it's Louis's? I couldn't put it past them, Moranis in the game or not.

Quote:
This is why I need Fritz to finish "The eye..." I need my happy place to not disappear!

Thanks. I really mean that. I'm just needy enough that being reminded, every once in a while, that at least a few people still care about what I do, really helps. It honestly inspired me to write a little bit yesterday.

I've made good progress over the last week on "Flip Side War Part 4", and when I get it done I'll get on "Eye of Aretpo Part 4" in earnest.
:)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2009, 10:25 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
But what if it's Louis's? I couldn't put it past them, Moranis in the game or not.

New rule- Everytime you say something like that to me is a time you have to have a new E/J moment in a new story mister!

I honestly think that Janine will be wallpaper in this game, she will never leave that desk and say barely more than, ok guys we have a call, get movin'. I think she will not be involved in the plot whatsoever, which is a shame, but it could be worse.

And I love how they gave away the enitre plot with Lyssa's bio. I'm going to go way out on a limb her and guess that since she's adopted she will find out that she is the anscestor of Evo Shandor and a psychic pull for Gozer. Blah.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 6:22 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
It's also been said that Gozer is not the main bad guy in the game.

I'm waiting until I play it before I start disparaging.

I seem to remember in RGB Venkman having a new love interest every other episode, and no one complained...even AFTER the episodes that took place after GB2. What's the difference with the videogame?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 1:45 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
here is another thing to think about . what if they Make GB 3 and Dana is in that . wouldn't that over right the game ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:

If that's the case, I'm going to cry. No, either way, anything that overwrites my story is going to make me cry. I spent every Study Hall in high school getting this story together, and it's gone through name changes, both for the story and the characters, and the hardest thing for me to do is to make it jibe with the movies and cartoons alike. With the inclusion of this new video game, and the fact that it's canonical, I'm mad that I even started this. Don't get me started on the prospect of a third movie -- whatever happens will without a doubt negate my story.

I guess I'll just have to keep making changes until it jibes all over.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 8:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

DrVincentBelmont wrote:
I seem to remember in RGB Venkman having a new love interest every other episode, and no one complained...even AFTER the episodes that took place after GB2. What's the difference with the videogame?

Vince, I have complained about Dana's not even being mentioned in the show after GB2. And of course by that time it was Post-JMS Dave Coulier Venkman, who was all but totally neutered.

The main two reasons I think I disdain the potential implications of this are twofold:

First, it basically disrespects their own story arc in the two movies for Venkman's character. As others have agreed on GBN, Venkman winning and losing Dana twice just makes him look like an utter loser; after basically playing her not once but twice as Venkman's One True Love, then kicking her to the curb, is unsatisfying from a story perspective. And as a Venkman fan, it's unsatisfying to me.

(The sad thing is, of course, we know Aykroyd and Ramis proved in the second movie they're completely capable of sticking up a great big middle finger to their characters' personal arcs; Ramis cockblocked his own character, f'Grife's sake.)

The second is the derivative factor. One of the largest complaints about GB2 was that it's story structure and plot points were pretty much photocopied from the GB1 script and the names changed. So, with twenty years to come up with new ideas and answer that criticism, what's the result? Venkman's Love Interest in the center of a supernatural conspiracy involving Gozer the Gozarian.

If they'd said she'd be Ray's love interest, or, as we all assumed early on, Marty Stu's love interest, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Yeah, it'd conflict with our own plans for Ray, but at least it'd be something different in the confines of a Movie/Video Game Only continuity.

jason knetge wrote:
here is another thing to think about . what if they Make GB 3 and Dana is in that . wouldn't that over right the game ?

You know something? I've heard people say "What if GB3 contradicts the game?" At this point, I just about frickin' hope so, just for the sake of watching the Movie Purists' heads exploding. They'd know just how I've felt watching RGB and EGB being ignored and "overwritten"

Spenglerite wrote:
Fritz wrote:

If that's the case, I'm going to cry. No, either way, anything that overwrites my story is going to make me cry. I spent every Study Hall in high school getting this story together, and it's gone through name changes, both for the story and the characters, and the hardest thing for me to do is to make it jibe with the movies and cartoons alike. With the inclusion of this new video game, and the fact that it's canonical, I'm mad that I even started this. Don't get me started on the prospect of a third movie -- whatever happens will without a doubt negate my story.

I guess I'll just have to keep making changes until it jibes all over.

If you're looking for sympathy on that one, you've come to the right place.

It's aggravating, I know, to have spent a lot of time studying a pile of lore, putting it together in a way that sorta fits, and then working to expand it with a lot of care...and then basically feel like it's blown up under you.

I know it's why I haven't written as much over the last year or so as I used to. It's a deep sense of "Why bother anymore?" that's hard to move past.

That being said, I'm not giving up yet. If that day comes, everyone will know. But for now I'm sticking it out; if I can do it, you can try to do it too.

:)

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 7:55 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz,

I get what you're saying. Goodness knows, I agree.

I don't blame terminal reality, though...they tried to get Sigourney Weaver back...but then again, they tried for Rick Moranis, too, but I'm kind of glad he passed. That gives me some hope that Janine might go back to her roots....every other comic and adaption has...why would TR do anything different?

I blame Ms. Weaver...

...but here's the REAL kicker. She recently expressed interest.

Well, Jesus, woman! Are you on or off?

At least she said she'd be on board for a third movie.

PS: I'm not a movie purist. I just happen to like both equally.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 8:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Lol...now you know I'm not talking about you. I mean some of the guys on GBFans and elsewhere who take the "If Aykroyd wasn't involved in it, it doesn't count" point of view.

And you're right that Weaver should have just made up her frickin' mind sooner. Though I would have rolled my eyes if she'd basically had Ilyssa's role in the game--it still takes us back to "Dana Barrett is menaced by the supernatural AGAIN"

I dunno. We'll see what happens when the game comes out. I can certainly envision ways it won't be as "bad" as it looks right now.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 11:12 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:

(The sad thing is, of course, we know Aykroyd and Ramis proved in the second movie they're completely capable of sticking up a great big middle finger to their characters' personal arcs; Ramis cockblocked his own character, f'Grife's sake.)

You know something? I've heard people say "What if GB3 contradicts the game?" At this point, I just about frickin' hope so, just for the sake of watching the Movie Purists' heads exploding. They'd know just how I've felt watching RGB and EGB being ignored and "overwritten"

It's aggravating, I know, to have spent a lot of time studying a pile of lore, putting it together in a way that sorta fits, and then working to expand it with a lot of care...and then basically feel like it's blown up under you.

I'm going to stick it out until it blows up, because I already have so much planned. The way it plays out is faithful to the movies, and they are well aware of the cartoons. The cartoon was based around their lives, and some of the plotlines in the cartoons were taken from actual events, but Oscar, Ryan and Marie weren't included, partly for the fact that Dana wanted to safeguard her son (and why wouldn't she?), and the two girls weren't even born yet. Janine kept it on the DL, for the most part. Kendra wasn't written in because she didn't want to be a cartoon character.

It all meshes with the cartoon BECAUSE they are aware of it. In terms of this video game coming out, I guess the same concept would apply, but the question would be, "Where's the Trifecta?" I still need a clever way to exclude them from the video game but still make it click with the movies, cartoons and games.

A third movie coming out would blow it all to pieces.

This is why I'd been nothing short of desperate to try and pitch this as a tv show. It would work SO well in place of a movie. I hope I "bump into" Ramis when I go to Chicago this summer. Haha, I'll give him what for...

And Fritz, it's taken me so long to get going with these stories because I'm in college and I work. I write in my spare time, which is dwindling these days.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 1:52 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Well Fritz, here's a thought:

If this game does indeed contradict our established timeline, why does it have to be included in the timeline at all? I mean, the 88mph comics were made Apocraphal, as was "The Return", so if this turns out to be that as well, then just chalk it up as Apocraphal and we can make fun of it as our characters in the stories like:

"Ugh, so who's seen that new video game they put out about the bosses? Wasnt that hilarious? Mrs. Spengler and Mrs. Venkman must be PISSED."

As for the actual PLOT of the game, if it turns out to be an interesting enough idea, we can steal it and alter the hell out of it to make it work, then say someone at the video game company was like "Hey, we could make a game out of that." but; "Unfortunately, as with the Vigo case, they made some changes." Its all about how you play it off. If it doesnt do what you want, make it your bitch!

You dont have to let this game distrupt what you've been building for all these years. It doesnt change ANYTHING for us, man.

I look at it as this; Enjoy it for what it is, something new with Ghostbusters that we can play with. If it's workable, great. If not, fuck it Dude... Lets go bowling.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 5:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Mick Nielson wrote:
Well Fritz, here's a thought:

If this game does indeed contradict our established timeline, why does it have to be included in the timeline at all? I mean, the 88mph comics were made Apocraphal, as was "The Return", so if this turns out to be that as well, then just chalk it up as Apocraphal and we can make fun of it as our characters in the stories like:

"Ugh, so who's seen that new video game they put out about the bosses? Wasnt that hilarious? Mrs. Spengler and Mrs. Venkman must be PISSED."

As for the actual PLOT of the game, if it turns out to be an interesting enough idea, we can steal it and alter the hell out of it to make it work, then say someone at the video game company was like "Hey, we could make a game out of that." but; "Unfortunately, as with the Vigo case, they made some changes." Its all about how you play it off. If it doesnt do what you want, make it your bitch!

You dont have to let this game distrupt what you've been building for all these years. It doesnt change ANYTHING for us, man.

I look at it as this; Enjoy it for what it is, something new with Ghostbusters that we can play with. If it's workable, great. If not, fuck it Dude... Lets go bowling.

Well, we decided 88MPH more or less did work. It might have been different if the ongoing series had gone on, but "The Zeddemore Factor" and "Legion" were workable. It's IDW's comics we're leaning against.

Mick, from my personal standpoint, I don't have the slightest problem with deciding the game, GB3 if it ever happens, or any of it is Apocrypha in our stories.

Truth to tell, as some of my Beta readers know, I've already done a draft of a story that pretty much says a lot of what you suggest. I don't know if it'll ever be posted, but it's there if we decide we "need" it.

I'm just not sure we'd be able to get away with it. There's a world of difference between ignoring a mini-series done by a comic writer who clearly doesn't know a thing about the property, and ignoring something written by the guys who created it. It's a much bigger leap.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 5:55 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

LOL, sort of off topic but until it was mentioned in this thread I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the IDW comics! I even did a double take, IDW...Oh, yeah! I guess that shows how fantastic they were :roll:

PostPosted: March 25th, 2009, 6:58 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I would blame Mr. Champagne. IDW usually kicks ass when making comics for other established properties, which brings me to my next question.

What was so bad about that one?

I know it established the fact that there's a purgatory, a heaven, and a hell, but I hope THAT isn't the problem (If it is, I'd be sorely disappointed).

What was it that made it a problem? I never got to read all of it...I don't care about spoilers.