It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:49 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: The "GB3" Video Game
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 10:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Fritz, I think you need to do with this video game what a lot of people with EGB and I do with that godawful Pirates of the Caribbean sequel. Just pretend it isn't happening. You'll feel better.

I'm leaning that way more and more. Again, I'll reserve final judgement until the thing is out and people I know play it, but it's certainly a possibility.

Jason: Thanks for standing up as a voice of dissent on GBHQ. Nobody listened and, as we could have expected, cast aspersions on your motives, but there's something noble in standing up for yourself in the face of overwhelming fanboy wanking.

My brother's copy of Game Informer came in yesterday, and I took a look at it. It doesn't reassure me very much, quite frankly.

Gozer might be the main enemy. I can't oppose a Gozer rematch on principle, or anything, and I had to laugh about the "Gozarian Codex" which sounds for all the world like it could be the "Chronicles of Gozer" under a new name (Heh. We predicted one of Aykroyd's plot devices four years ahead of time). But here's the main thing: they drove over that bridge already. It's a big mark in the "Rehash and pander to fanboys just to cash in" side of the column.

Ungh. And in his rant on GBHQ Jason mentioned "dumb newbies", and it finally dawned on me how cringe inducing that could become.

I think I mentioned before I've read DC's Legion of Super Heroes for the last fourteen years, and last fall (2006) Kids WB launched a Legion cartoon. They completely changed one of my favorites, the Egon-like Querl Dox/Brainiac 5, and made him a boyish toy robot who crushes on Superman. Sure enough, there's been a distressing amount of Brainy/Superman slash fiction showing up from some of the whacko fangirls that the show has attracted.

Bah. The real Brainaic 5 likes girls. Kara Sue, Laurel Gand, Nura Nal, take your pick depending on version.

There you go, forget whether you think they really belong together, Egon and Janine should be involved in the new game to reduce (not eliminate, alas, but reduce) the flood of retarted Egon/Mary Sue stories. :P

PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 11:29 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
I haven't said anything yet, but I'm in Fritz's boat on this one. (Watch out for that iceberg!) I'm going to wait till I see it in action before I form any kind of opinion. It's going to part of canon regardless, since it seems to be an "official" entry in the series. I just hope the E/J situation works out.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 1:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the note of support.

And glad to see you worked out those log-in problems. :)

PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 2:53 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Due to a nasty case of bronchitis and my starting a new job, I haven't been online much in the last two weeks.

I only read the messages Fritz is alluding to last night and I was fuming. I have NEVER seen such hypocritical sh*t in all my life. These guys have had similar opinions to us for the better part of twenty years and now that there is something 'official' coming out they are sucking up to the sony bigwigs. I just hope sony isn't reading their ignorant crap.

These same guys were all "Way to go Janine" a few year ago during legion 4 when she finally asked him out, and now they don't want any E/J or RGB influence?

For some reason they just want a shooter game with no plot and randomly thrown in smarta** remakes that vaguely resembles the GB we love. I say screw that. Crap like that I won't waste my money on.

I really hope that Dan has enough sense to see that the game will be lost in the stacks of other shooter games without character interaction and a good story. Why put a GB name on it otherwise.

I totally agree with you Fritz, I don't want to hear anything else about this game until it comes out and furthermore, I won't be reading anything else about it on other boards.

I am completely disapointed in some of those guys and I want things to go back to how it was three months ago.

And I still read your stuff Fritz, and other people do too. I know that you haven't gotten a lot of reviews on fanfiction.net, but no one is these days, but people still read them I guarantee it. :D

ghostdiva (Who is staying over here where its safe, lol.)

PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 9:25 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
you don't think i pissed off Ben do you . cus I think of him as my friend

ghostdiva wrote:
Due to a nasty case of bronchitis and my starting a new job, I haven't been online much in the last two weeks.

I only read the messages Fritz is alluding to last night and I was fuming.

you guy don't think I was to harsh with what I said do you ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 8:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't think so. You expressed your opinion. It just happened to disagree with the majority.

I don't know--maybe once somebody said something, maybe a few more will start to think "Sure, okay, we're getting something for the first time in a couple years. But are we getting over enthused about this?"

It's still early. The game won't be out for nearly a year (and that's if it ships on time). It could be mind-blowingly good. But I find it ridiculous to assume ahead of time that it will be mind-blowingly good just because of who's involved in it. They created the brilliant piece of work that launched this property, but they also created a derivative sequel that was inferior, story-wise, to many early episodes of the animated series.

I don't think a healthy dose of skepticism is unwarrented.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:

It's still early. The game won't be out for nearly a year (and that's if it ships on time). It could be mind-blowingly good. But I find it ridiculous to assume ahead of time that it will be mind-blowingly good just because of who's involved in it.

I never did say that they're forbidden to like it I just sad that maybe just not yet .

one would also think we would stop acting like happy GB dogs to what ever scraps are thrown are way

then there'sthis
Quote:

I was however sharing an opinion. And you can bash it as much as you want Vincent, but its my opinion. And *I* think it would be an interesting story.

This is a discussion board, designed for discussion. Keep it as such Belmont.

LOL WOW

I'm starting to see what Bo means

PS Belmont I would be more then happy to talk on here about the game

PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 6:43 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
Jason knetge wrote:
then there'sthis
Quote:
I was however sharing an opinion. And you can bash it as much as you want Vincent, but its my opinion. And *I* think it would be an interesting story.

LOL WOW

What, you mean the fact that guys who've been around for...Christ, a decade now can get slapped in the face by just about anyone?

Yeah. I'm starting to think Bo's complaints aren't without their merit.

I don't give a rat's ass that he designed GBHQ. Where the hell was he for like, 5 fucking years? He just signed up less than a week ago. Like that fucker can presume to lecture me?

Quote:

Then we shall. I was just shocked at how ILL-received it seems to be by you and Fritz.

For one, I have serious doubts about this game being a "mindless shooter." Mindless shooters don't have you performing scientific experiments, scanning and logging entities into a spirit guide, or testing and upgrading equipment, nor do they call for strategy, such as maneuvering said entities above a ghost trap that must be placed by you or a teammate.

It was never meant to be a Role-Playing game (though that would be awesome). Every game that comes out is going to be pidgeonholed into one of maybe 3 genres...and some assumptions may seem unfair.

After all, Grand Theft Auto had its clones, and one, in my opinion is SUPERIOR to the franchise..."The Godfather."

I'm at a complete loss at your disapproval of the graphics. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to the opinion...I'm saying that I don't understand the reasons. It was meant to mimick the movie, and I think they have it spot on. Ghostbusters is as much Horror as it is a comedy, and vice-versa. I think the environments are both inspired and creepy, while you still are fed plenty of comedy via dialogue over the radio. i think they're hiting a very beautiful balance in that respect.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but I like my ghost-hunting games to have their creep-factor.

I will hand Fritz his assessment of a little healthy skepticism. That's wise advice, actually. However, waiting for them to "Totally fuck it up" doesn't seem horrendously fair, either.

Onto the plot:

I have to disagree with the Return of Gozer assessment. They really stress the "New evil," angle, and mention that the rise in energy causes a resurgence of former foes. I also haven't seen anything "Gozerian" other than a mentioned text, and I've seen no Terror dogs, which would have most likely been highlighted in concept art and screenshots to produce familiarity with the viewers.

Most important, however, is the fact that The Ghostbusters after Vigo's defeat, have convinced the city that Ghostbusting is a necessary service, and want to have rights to franchise their company...the city wants proof.

This opens up GBI to the actual Aykroid/Ramis canon. I wouldn't be horribly surprised if this is an actual nod in the fan franchise direction. These development teams scour the net for what the fans have been doing to keep the franchise alive.

The ONLY thing I see that this game could possibly step on is the existence of the EGB. Well, that, and the whole Egon/Janine angle. Has this ever stopped us? We worked in through GB2 and the 88mph comics.

As for the E/J thing....while I'd like to see it, I'm not going to let it ruin the experience for me....and if Murray can be persuaded to work on a videogame (the snowball has survived Hell!), it's not beyond reason to hope that Ramis has had a change of heart, considering the fan base.

Again, I suppose everyone has a right to their opinions, but I think the doomsayers may be needlessly worrying...especially THIS early in production.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 10:04 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Some of my earlier comments were overheated, and I apologize for that. I've been biting my tongue on the other boards, precisely because I didn't want to seem "negative" or a "party pooper" or anything like that, so some of that sense of frustration came out here.

But hey, this is my place, if I can't be "negative" or a "party pooper" here, where can I?

Quote:
I also haven't seen anything "Gozerian" other than a mentioned text, and I've seen no Terror dogs, which would have most likely been highlighted in concept art and screenshots to produce familiarity with the viewers.

Good point. But as mentioned, the familiar stuff's been out front in the promotional material thus far. When are they going to try and dazzle us with something we haven't seen before? The criticism of the second movie with the most concensus behind it is "It was just a plot point by plot point retread of the first"--and they're inviting that comparison by throwing out all of these references to what has come before with very little new.

Quote:
This opens up GBI to the actual Aykroid/Ramis canon. I wouldn't be horribly surprised if this is an actual nod in the fan franchise direction. These development teams scour the net for what the fans have been doing to keep the franchise alive.

The ONLY thing I see that this game could possibly step on is the existence of the EGB. Well, that, and the whole Egon/Janine angle. Has this ever stopped us? We worked in through GB2 and the 88mph comics.

As for the E/J thing....while I'd like to see it, I'm not going to let it ruin the experience for me....and if Murray can be persuaded to work on a videogame (the snowball has survived Hell!), it's not beyond reason to hope that Ramis has had a change of heart, considering the fan base.

Everyone knows some of these issues are actually important to me and my enjoyment of this franchise. I agree there is some room for hope, between Moranis "passing" on the project, and, as you mentioned, the accumulation of years of fan sentiment may work wonders.

I acknowledge the right of a creator to have his own opinions and visions. I also acknowledge the right of fandom to reject those opinions.

The timeline I write in says the future (post 1991) is already set. If I end up being the last person still using that version and even less people read my shit than do now so be it.

It's a bit like another fandom I'm involved in, that of Digimon. In the official canon of Seasons 1-2, Sora Takenouchi eventually marries Matt Ishida instead of her love interest from most of the run of the show, Tai Kamiya. Has that stopped the fans from writing piles of Tai/Sora stories? Hell no. In fact, I sometimes think they write more of them than if the "official" ending had said she'd married Tai.

Honestly, the only reason I really care what happens in the game on this area is because it'd give ammunition to all the retarded fangirls who write Egon/Mary Sue stories.Image

EGB--again, they're too integrated into "our" history. Even if I wanted to ditch them, I know I'd have hell to pay from one particularlly gifted and prolific writer who's invested a lot of time and effort into those characters. And guess what, I don't want to ditch them.

Quote:
Again, I suppose everyone has a right to their opinions, but I think the doomsayers may be needlessly worrying...especially THIS early in production.

On that I have to agree. But I counter it with the assessment that treating it like the cure for cancer, world peace, and the Second Coming all at once is a little unwarranted too. Some of the posters on GBHQ and GBN just about sound like that. Even if it ends up being a spectacular video game, it's still just a video game.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 2:46 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

DrVincentBelmont wrote:
Jason knetge wrote:
then there'sthis
Quote:

LOL WOW

What, you mean the fact that guys who've been around for...Christ, a decade now can get slapped in the face by just about anyone?

Yeah. I'm starting to think Bo's complaints aren't without their merit.

I don't give a rat's ass that he designed GBHQ. Where the hell was he for like, 5 fucking years? He just signed up less than a week ago. Like that fucker can presume to lecture me?

It was more the pot calling the kettle black thing he was doing .
Him saying that any one can voice they're opinion and say what they wont as long as its the same as what he is saying .

To me it seemed that he was saying ( amy one can say what the wont here , so don't bash them for what thy say ) but then he had to back petal BC they bashed my .

thanks for pointing that out to him

DrVincentBelmont wrote:

Quote:

Then we shall. I was just shocked at how ILL-received it seems to be by you and Fritz.

Well it's not that I heat it or really love it . I just don't get a buzz or a rush of excitement when I see it .

there is a small blip of happiness to it but not enough to get me going and sustain me to when it comes out

DrVincentBelmont wrote:
I'm at a complete loss at your disapproval of the graphics. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to the opinion...I'm saying that I don't understand the reasons. It was meant to mimick the movie, and I think they have it spot on. Ghostbusters is as much Horror as it is a comedy, and vice-versa. I think the environments are both inspired and creepy, while you still are fed plenty of comedy via dialogue over the radio. i think they're hiting a very beautiful balance in that respect.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but I like my ghost-hunting games to have their creep-factor.

as for the graphics . They look like a lot of other games that I have seen and for my I just wont to see them push it just a bit more .

Granted this is based on what I've seen so for .

DrVincentBelmont wrote:
I will hand Fritz his assessment of a little healthy skepticism. That's wise advice, actually. However, waiting for them to "Totally fuck it up" doesn't seem horrendously fair, either.

No I'm waiting and hoping that they don't . I keep thinking ( man don't fuck this this up )

DrVincentBelmont wrote:

my be not after all in back in the satle Egon did say ( we cot all the ghost in the ) .

Is could be the thing he means by them saying that they were to good at there job .

DrVincentBelmont wrote:

we may still get it they say in the article that we get to look in the ECU and slide down the pole . so to me it seems that we get to run around the fire house . so we may get hear Janine give say some thing about liking Egon .

Fritz wrote:
Some of my earlier comments were overheated, and I apologize for that. I've been biting my tongue on the other boards, precisely because I didn't want to seem "negative" or a "party pooper" or anything like that, so some of that sense of frustration came out here.

But hey, this is my place, if I can't be "negative" or a "party pooper" here, where can I?

well I have no status in the community or at least I don't think so ( other then the the guy that evry one thinks is retarded BC he's not that good of a spelling ) . so I felt I had nothing to risk stating my opinion and giving some back up to the others .

Quote:

On that I have to agree. But I counter it with the assessment that treating it like the cure for cancer, world peace, and the Second Coming all at once is a little unwarranted too. Some of the posters on GBHQ and GBN just about sound like that. Even if it ends up being a spectacular video game, it's still just a video game.[/quote]

that what I was saying lets not get to excited over it till it's almost here

PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 4:57 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Fritz wrote:
I really almost broke when Ron Daniels, my former GBWC teammate, said he would "gloat" if Egon and Janine weren't "together" in it, and Tom Sanford made the ludicrous statement that it's "logical" for her to be with Louis. That kind of shit from people I thought I knew after nearly five years just kind of stings.

That definately sucks!!! :evil: Just when you think you know people they turn around and say stuff like that! :twisted:

I do like playing video games and I'd like to check it out because I like RPGs based on my favourite franchises, but I too am skeptical about it and dread the stroryline they have planned after GBII. :roll:

I think my real reason for wanting this to be successful is that it may generate enough interest for those bums over at Sony to bring RGB and EGB out on DVD!

Post subject: Re: Dissenting Opinions
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 2:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

From one of the IGN articles:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/839/839501p2.html

Quote:
One character we can confirm won't be returning, however, is Dana Barrett - Venkman's on again off again love interest, played in the films by Sigourney Weaver. According to the team the character just didn't fit what they wanted to do with the story, with Harold and Dan introducing an all-new female lead instead, who, according to Executive Producer John Melchior, "is actually tied to the story pretty heavily, and the big enemy is tied directly to that."

Does this give anyone else shooting, stabbing pains?

PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 7:15 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
Tand as the game progresses Egon is constantly tinkering with them – adding in new functionality and upgrading their stats. In this sequence, as the team move along concrete corridors and into a more industrial interior, we're introduced to one of its new abilities, the Shot-Blast. Much like a shotgun, this mode of fire has a wide spread and is great from close quarters.

hummmmm were have I herd that before

Quote:
Hay I know I'm the now guy here but what about a Proton shotgun to reely stun the crap out of ghost .
You wood pump it to charge the belt generator wen fired it wood shoot a short spray of Protons and sins you pump it to charge it you my have a end Les supply of sots
It wood have to be more powerful then a regaler Proton gun .
It may Obliterate a class 2 and lower I don't know if a Singel blast wood have Anny affect no a class 7.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 11:40 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Fritz wrote:
From one of the IGN articles:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/839/839501p2.html

Quote:
One character we can confirm won't be returning, however, is Dana Barrett - Venkman's on again off again love interest, played in the films by Sigourney Weaver. According to the team the character just didn't fit what they wanted to do with the story, with Harold and Dan introducing an all-new female lead instead, who, according to Executive Producer John Melchior, "is actually tied to the story pretty heavily, and the big enemy is tied directly to that."

Does this give anyone else shooting, stabbing pains?

That idea scares the crap outta me. What they're just gonna dump Dana after all this time? :shock:
And I suppose Janine will just become part of the furniture? :evil:

PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 2:37 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
My guess is that the new love interest doesn't last very long if it's tied to the bad guy.

It's the plot to many a RGB episode...Peter falls for the bad guy.

As for the plot...I read now that all major ghosts will be making an appearance, but I'm still pretty sure that Gozer is not going to be the bad guy. We'll have to see how things develop.